flooring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flooring question

Im about to redo the decking on my all aluminum boat. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg. I heard if you use pressure treated plywood it could be bad for an aluminum boat. someone told me there is a chemical in there that reacts to the aluminum and will cause rust issues. Not know if its true. Should i just by regular plywood and put a few coats of sealant on it. I know marine grade would probably be best. How much does it run. Any help would be appreciated.

Where could i go to get the aluminum plate. And if i choose to go that route would it be easy to place carpet over it.

Comment

I considered putting plexy glass in mine .... easy to cut, water resistant, and for traction paint it with some sand grit
      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

I used HERCULINER on the front deck of mine. Just sand the heck out of it, use acetone to scrub with. Do that 3 or 4 times then roll the liner down. I did 3 heavy coats and it hasnt chipped or anything, great grip.
        Karma's a beach.

Comment

Originally posted by 03Marine View Post
          Im about to redo the decking on my all aluminum boat. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg. I heard if you use pressure treated plywood it could be bad for an aluminum boat. someone told me there is a chemical in there that reacts to the aluminum and will cause rust issues. Not know if its true. Should i just by regular plywood and put a few coats of sealant on it. I know marine grade would probably be best. How much does it run. Any help would be appreciated.
          They say the same thing about when you replace the running boards on the trailer, Always make sure you have good carpet on the trailer to keep the treated wood from touching the boat. & After you wash down your boat at the Car Wash If you wash the inside, Spray it down with the WAX , INSIDE, Trailer & Bunker Boards That will help seal the chemicals from the treated wood & you should have less or no rusting. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
            ....you are correct about the treated plywood reacting with the aluminum and causing corrosion. I am soon to floor the flattie over here as well and will probably go the thin aluminum plate route as it's not that expensive and I don't want to have to fool with replacing it later.
            I dont think youve priced it , Its gonna cost more than you think...Aluminum is pricey right now!!!Just go to Kemah Hardware they'll put ya on the wood you need!
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Last time I checked it was high,just sayin...I did a floor in a flattie with it once,it was nice but I didnt carpet it I used sand in some grey floor paint it worked good! I recently used wood in my traveler and carpet came out ok too!
              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

I just said screw it went cheap and bought regular plywood untreated bought two can of Helmsman spar varnish which i read and heard is one of the best sealers for wood that will have constant contact with water. Bought cheap outdoor carpet at Home Depot and contact cement to stick the carpet to the wood. I had a guy told me he did the same and his deck has been on his boat for almost 6 years and no soft spots or nothing! ! But 5 years is good with me i dont think ill have the boat that long before i upgrade! !

Comment

The new treated wood is different that's old school problems
                  May your rod never go limp

Comment

Originally posted by FISHINFREAK View Post
                    I just said screw it went cheap and bought regular plywood untreated bought two can of Helmsman spar varnish which i read and heard is one of the best sealers for wood that will have constant contact with water. Bought cheap outdoor carpet at Home Depot and contact cement to stick the carpet to the wood. I had a guy told me he did the same and his deck has been on his boat for almost 6 years and no soft spots or nothing! ! But 5 years is good with me i dont think ill have the boat that long before i upgrade! !
                    So I should be good to go on using reg plywood? It seems the cheapest do far. I planned on doing the exact same thing.
                    Again everyone thanks for the help and information.

Comment

Like i said man thats wat im doin its like less than half the price and if i get 3-5 years or more thats fine with me haha !

Comment

Well, it's slowly coming together!! Just finished the flooring. Now I just have to bolt everything down into place and add the new seats. Thats good enough for now. I will prob end up paintin it in a few weeks. The first is a crappy before picture (it the only one I could find). Work in progress. Thanks for the help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I added the wrong after pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X