Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what?

I bought my 1st boat earlier this year and learned a bunch from FWE. Now I need to do some work on both the boat and the trailer. Boat has some deck cracks that need reglassed, new gelcoat and the trailer is set up perfect but has some rust issues. Many things I like about the boat and trailer including all the work I and others have done to get it where it is. The boat and trailer fit my needs for the most part but there is so much I would like to do that I'm not sure what to do next. Should I look for a newer boat that is a step up from what I have, get what I really want and sell someone a great boat and trailer that is ready to fish but could use some upgrades, or fix what I have. I spend 60+ hours a week working at a real job and try to fish as much as I can on the weekends.

1987 Bayhawk 17'2" redecked in 2003.
    2003 Johnson 90 hp 2-cycle. unknown hours (meter has 90)
    1995 Steelco Sportsman trailer

With all that has been done so far I have about $5000 invested. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bayhawk1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	572843

Name:	bayhawk2.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	572844

Name:	bayhawk3.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	572845

Hess, That boat and trailer are complete trash that you should run away from IMMEDIATELY! Since I'm such a good friend, I'll get it out of your hair at no additional cost to you so you can focus on buying a better boat and trailer.
    You can thank me later.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
      Hess, That boat and trailer are complete trash that you should run away from IMMEDIATELY! Since I'm such a good friend, I'll get it out of your hair at no additional cost to you so you can focus on buying a better boat and trailer.
      You can thank me later.
      You will be needing a truck to pull that boat. Make me an offer. Better yet, lets do a couple boat test drives 1st. You can thank me later.

Comment

Re: Now what?

If the boat does what you need and you like it do the work , fiberglass work on a boat takes years to go bad so it's a good investment

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
        I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Thats a nice boat sounds to me like u should explore other boats and see wats out there that u might like more or if u find that others are about the same or then save the money and fix urs . I know the feelin man.

Comment

Originally posted by JbVenable
            FISHINFREAK knows the feelin man. You guys need to trade boats.
            Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Hesser View Post
              You will be needing a truck to pull that boat. Make me an offer. Better yet, lets do a couple boat test drives 1st. You can thank me later.
              It's a deal!!! I call shotgun!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

get some rust kill at the hardware store and spray the rust spots after you hit them good with a wire brush, the paint with a good primer then paint with cold galvanized paint-I cannot find any cold gal paint in the can anymore except the darn spray cans, so if you locate a gallon of it, let me know where. That should solve the rust on the trailer. As far as cracks-are they stress cracks or is the cracked area "soft' and spongy like? If just some spider/stress cracks, I wouldn't mess with those. Is transom good (does it flex when motor is tilted up and ya press on lower unit with your weight)? If it flexes, ya got a problem.

remember, somebody else's used boat is selling for a reason-sometimes because it's always breaking down or has major issues, so be careful and don't sell and buy unless sure-ya may end up worse off????????
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

As far as a Fishing Boat I dont see anything wrong with that one! At least you know what is wrong with the one you have if you trade for another used boat you are probably gonna get something alot worse! As far as the trailer rusting steel brush the rusted areas & spray them with cold galvanizing spray paint & the after you fish go to the car cash spray the trailer down & spray it with the wax spray that might help with the rusting problem.

Comment

Some pics of work needed done. I don't know how to glass and both of these places have been done since the gelcoat was done 10 years ago. The rust on the trailer is more my area but is it cheaper to just replace the side uprights than try to fix them? I fear there is not much left after the rust is removed, same with the fenders. I had a big chunk fall off the bottom when I stepped on it.

Name:	DSCN1668.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	557936Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1670.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	557937Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1671.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	557938

Name:	DSCN1672.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	557939Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1673.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	557940The cooler/seat is ok but I would like to be up higher when seated. I stand most of the time but it is nice to sit down sometimes too. Thats the only cooler so anything that is a cooler but raised about 8"-12" above where it is now would be better. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X