WTB motor for jon boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB motor for jon boat

My bro-in-law has a 14ft jon boat that currently has a Johnson 9.9. Beside some mechanical issues, he has been wanting to upgrade to something a little bigger. Looking for something at least 30hp. Any recomendations on something good to go with? Know of a motor for sell anywhere? I appreciate the help.

Re: WTB motor for jon boat

I've seen a few on craigslist recently ,.search outboard motor

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

a 30 hp on a 14'-you sure ya wanna put that much weight on such a low transom?
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

WTB motor for jon boat

Our 15' alumacraft with a 15 merc runs around 20 with 2 people and loaded with gear. I think he would be impressed with a 25.
        Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

My 16 with a 30 on it runs over 25mph. The weight of the 30 on my boat makes it run pretty low in the water, I think it might drown that 14 if the transom is very low. I have had water come over the back quite a few times, of course I take it out when it is blowing 30. Be careful and maybe look in the 20 range.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Ya i guess you're right about the weight of the 30. I didnt think about that.

Comment

I am actually the owner of the boat. The boat is all welded and much wider and deeper (and heavier) than your normal 14 footer. Its about 6' wide and 2' deep. The little johnson 9.9 doesn't have nearly enough for it, wont even plane- maybe hits 8 mph with just me in it. Feels like an overpowered trolling motor. The boat originally had a 35 horse on it. Minimum I'm looking to put on it is 25HP and preferrably 35.
              Nothin' but hardheads.....

Comment

Originally posted by cfarmer View Post
                I am actually the owner of the boat. The boat is all welded and much wider and deeper (and heavier) than your normal 14 footer. Its about 6' wide and 2' deep. The little johnson 9.9 doesn't have nearly enough for it, wont even plane- maybe hits 8 mph with just me in it. Feels like an overpowered trolling motor. The boat originally had a 35 horse on it. Minimum I'm looking to put on it is 25HP and preferrably 35.
                Is the hull hooked at all?

Are you certain it's 6' wide at the bottom maybe? Perhaps it's 48"-54" on the bottom bottom flared out at the top to hit 5.5-6' unless your telling me it's a 72" bottom. I did have a 30HP that would work. Its now resides at the bottom of Davey Jones' locker. I had a 1554 that ran 30 MPH with a 30 HP. I'd highly suggest looking at a 25-30HP model. Be sure the transom is in good condition.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I will have to check on the hook. I've had the boat for less than a month and dont have much experiece with boat ownership. Overall the boat looked to be in great condition, of course that was just looking from the top. The transom is in good condition, but I do believe the motor is running deeper than it should. The anti-cavitation plate is atleast 6" below the bottom of the boat. I'm sure this contributes some to the bad performance, but could it really be the sole cause?

Another thing I thought could be a problem is the motor itself. Maybe it is not running up to par. I have not checked the compression on the motor, but the motor was "serviced" before I purchased the boat. Thats no gaurantee though.

I will try and get some pic's this evening when I am home.

Thanks for all the help!

-Chase

And yes, the bottom of the boat would be close to 4 or 5 feet with the top flared to around 6'. Its a flat bottom.
                  Last edited by cfarmer; November 2, 2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                    Is the hull hooked at all?

Are you certain it's 6' wide at the bottom maybe? Perhaps it's 48"-54" on the bottom bottom flared out at the top to hit 5.5-6' unless your telling me it's a 72" bottom. I did have a 30HP that would work. Its now resides at the bottom of Davey Jones' locker. I had a 1554 that ran 30 MPH with a 30 HP. I'd highly suggest looking at a 25-30HP model. Be sure the transom is in good condition.
                    How did she end up swimmin with the fishes if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

Just checked the boat, no sign of a hook- looks perfectly flat. Dimensions on the boat are 50" at the base, top is just shy of 6-1/2 feet, depth is 20". I'm gonna attach a few pics. You can see how low the motor hangs below the boat.Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-02_17-49-23_48.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	558012Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-02_17-49-53_407.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	558013Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-02_17-50-05_711.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	558014Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-02_17-50-23_249.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	558015

Comment

I"m no pro for sure, but my cavitation plate is About 1" below the bottom of the boat. It was mounted by an outboard shop.
                        When it comes to motor size...my first boat was a 14 foot with a 25hp and it ran great. There should be a coast guard label listing
                        the maximun size motor allowed. I don't know if that applies to allow for the different weights of 2 cycle vs 4 stroke.

Comment

I think you have a tall transom motor on a short transom boat. I am going to defer to an expert here though... Good news is it can probably be corrected.

A buddy sank the boat during a strong front. The motor lost power (ran out of gas) and he tossed out the anchor swell came over the stern & it was down in 3 seconds. Overweight with gear. I had just sold it to him.
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Looks to me like you may have a trim problem? A little adjustment there may work wonders.

Comment

Working...
                            X