Best trailer bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best trailer bearings?

I have to replace my wheel hub bearings and wondering if there's one brand or type stands out.

I'm sure somebody will pipe up here -- I don't have much experience -- last trailer had wet sump bearings and they worked great. The new one has regular old buddy bearings so I guess I'll have to cross this bridge eventually.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I replace my bearings every year. I actually swap a complete hub assembly in that I buy from McClain Trailer & am done with it.

Yes there are cheaper ways to go about this like just replacing the bearings & races etc. but I have spare hubs that I keep for road trips just in case I have a bearing or hub go bad. I have actually handed a few people a complete assembly for $20 on the side of the road without one they would be calling a wrecker. A lot of people run a trailer with 1 or 2 spare tires. I happen to have 2 tires, 2 hubs and a set of springs in case anything should ever happen.

Personally, I have an axle with a grease fitting on the end of the spindle this makes pumping in new grease a snap and I can continue to add grease until all the old is out without worrying about the seals.

I put close to 2000 miles a month on my trailer especially during duck season. I've never had a serious issue once I started being religious about changing & inspecting the bearings. Honestly it's a 15-20 min procedure for each hub.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I picked up 2 axles from McClain's with the no grease bearings about a year ago, so far no troubles. I was told they should go 5 years without having to grease them...will see

Comment

Best trailer bearings?

My dad just picked up two new hubs and buddy bearings for it. I'm out of town so he picked them up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CKRIGAR View Post
            My dad just picked up two new hubs and buddy bearings for it. I'm out of town so he picked them up for me.
            Take the buddy bearings back especially if you have a grease fitting on the end of your spindle. 100% over kill and waste of money ONLY if you have the zerk grease fitting on the end of your axle spindle. If you just have a regular axle with no greaseable spindle then yes the Buddy Bearings will work.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Im very pleased with oil hubs under my kenner sight glass shows a good level and I keep on truckin.

Comment

Bearing are not as hard to keep but try going to a bearing supply and by the USA seals, have had seals go bad in 5 or 6 dunks until I went to USA seals and bearing. Repack them yearly and grease them a few time a year lightly, no problems. You can put water into axles with bearing buddies and power washer.
                Good luck, I just changed my axles with torsion, they were over 6 years old and had been dunked over 1200 times. Torsion axles are way better than springs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by castaway300 View Post
                  I picked up 2 axles from McClain's with the no grease bearings about a year ago, so far no troubles. I was told they should go 5 years without having to grease them...will see
                  ^ this.

Comment

Working...
                  X