Giant Bay Boat Trend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Bay Boat Trend

I did a thread like this a while back on TOS, and I was just reminded about that by pictures of a new 25 foot Haynie.
    Since the early 60's I have watched boat design trends. Back then a 16 foot bay boat was huge, most made out of wood, and a 40 horse Evinrude was what we skied behind.

I've also been watching boat advertising and buying trends since AlGore invented the internet and it seems that there's always been the "in" boat to buy. In the 60's and 70's the Boston Whaler was the Cadillac, but most people bought Malibu's or other similar hulls. By the 80's it seemed that everyone was in the boat business. That started a string of new "in" boats every savvy fisherman had to have.

The Majek immediately comes to mind from that decade, and the Redfish was the model, as well as the classic Shallow Sport. I can't remember the actual order, but soon the Transport was "in". Next was maybe the Shoalwater, and Parker Big Bay. I think the reaction to that was the technical poling skiff craze. It suddenly seemed like everyone wanted a poling skiff. Heck I even wanted one, but couldn't figure out why. ...... and catamarans of all sort also became popular. After the millennium, bass boats came to the coast and going 70 plus was "super in". Now the "in" boat is the Haynie, and the bigger the better, but if you have the coin, then obviously you already have an SCB.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Giant Bay Boat Trend

I just want a Carolina skiff !!!!! Or a old shoalwater !
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

check out the sea born

I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Majek is what I currently run.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Yea it’s interesting when I think what I need now. My Dad had a 14’ jon boat with a 10hp that we took to Port A, fished the shorelines, and caught a lot of fish. I had a 15 Boston Whaler in the 80’s with a 55hp and it was perfect then. Now, I have to have 22 footer and run 50mph to catch fish. Crazy isn’t it!

Comment

Gotta love it... But yeah sometimes I roll into the boat ramp and more times than not the guy with the 16ft tiller john boat has more than me and yes you know who you are (marsh rat). lol....
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Bigger and faster! It used to be just the bass boat guys. Now all of the new age bay boats run huge motors. I was fortunate enough to spend a large part of my youth fishing out of a 21 Whaler (Outrage). The older I got, I realized it was just in my opinion, a high quality, cruddy design. Also spent a lot of time in a Mako. Still love every one I see.

Comment

Giant Bay Boat Trend

Aw. Gulf coast good one !!
                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Another change since the 60's is the insane amount of money and time people are willing to fianance a boat for.

I have seen 20 year financing offered up to $100,000. I guess I can get that Yellowfin I have always wanted. It will be paid of in 2033.

Comment

It's crazy, these 25' "shallow water" boats. If you stick one on a sand bar it's going to take the Good Lord himself to get it off. I was running a Haynie before it was cool. The difference is mine's only 20' and cost 17k brand spanking new and ready to fish.

FB

Comment

Originally posted by FISH BAIT View Post
                      It's crazy, these 25' "shallow water" boats. If you stick one on a sand bar it's going to take the Good Lord himself to get it off. I was running a Haynie before it was cool. The difference is mine's only 20' and cost 17k brand spanking new and ready to fish.

FB
                      Yeah, I doubt that they have gotten three times better.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Deano,
                        I did forget the Gulfcoast.
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Thanks everyone for reminding me why I love my kayak so much.

Comment

Since I have gotten older, and become more financially stable, I can now afford almost any of them, if I wantd a large boat payment. I think that may be a lot of what we are seeing in larger size bay boats. More money & longer financing = bigger boat.

A lot folks are still using 14' flat bottoms with tiller 20hp. and they still catch fish. Funny thing is, the fish don't care what kind of boat you have. Very similar to cars, I think boats have become a status symbol.
                            "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHawk View Post
                              Thanks everyone for reminding me why I love my kayak so much.
                              Kayaks have their advantages, but try fishing Clear Lake, East Bay, Dickinson Bay, Moses Lake, and the Jetties all in the same day and be back home by 3:00 pm. Not gonna happen in a yak. I like being able to go find the fish.
                              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Working...
                              X