Jack Plate issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Plate issues

Our jack plate started acting up the other day. Never owned a boat with one so not sure how to begin trouble shooting. It will go up fine, but when you go to put it down it goes about 1/4 speed. Fluid levels appear to be fine. Motor looks pretty rough but since it goes up fine that leads me to believe that's not the problem.

i would start with checking all the wire connections.

Comment

What brand?

Different JPs have different common problems.

Comment

Alex,
        There are two small rectangular black boxes under the cowling connected with wires. One makes the plate go up and the other go down. Take them to an auto parts place and get two new ones. If you go to West Marine, etc. they will be 2 to 3 times as much.
        If you have a 3 position toggle switch, that connection could be bad.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Jack Plate issues

I'll check the connections this weekend. I'm not sure what brand it is. Thanks for the help guys, I'm hoping its just a bad connection and not the motor.

Comment

Re: Jack Plate issues

Originally posted by kenny View Post
            Alex,
            There are two small rectangular black boxes under the cowling connected with wires. One makes the plate go up and the other go down. Take them to an auto parts place and get two new ones. If you go to West Marine, etc. they will be 2 to 3 times as much.
            If you have a 3 position toggle switch, that connection could be bad.
            This...they are relays. You can jump across them with a pair of needle nose as a quick check, or if they ever fail completely. Just go post to post by opening the needle nose jaws. Make sure the handles are insulated and your not kneeling in water when you do this. Just a friendly hint!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

That's a I&C issue I'm a mechanic its always I&C issues in my world... Steveo can hook you up call him... If your motor stops running remember put some gas in it that usually fixes it... My name is Hogie70 and I approve this message.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
              X