Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting from scratch

Howdy all,

I'm in the market for my first bay boat. I've fished freshwater for most of my life in other peoples' bass boats and I've been fishing salt for about 10 years, wading & kayaking. I've never actually owned my own setup. I'm a needle starting from zero basically.

I have about $12K to spend (a few bucks more if I have to) and I'm looking for a used (obviously) 20+ footer. I've seen some pretty nice 1990's models for that kind of money, but I'm clueless on how to shop for them, what brands/makes to avoid (I know that pathfinders are supposed to be good), what's too old, how many hours on the motor are too many...pretty much everything you should know before purchasing. I have some buddies that are fairly knowledgeable, but I figured I'd solicit as much input as I can get.

Also, I have to start from zero on how to navigate the bays, where to fish and when (I've only fished the shallows off my kayak - places like SLP, Sea Isle, etc.)...pretty much starting from zero on this front too. I also don't want to be one of those potlicking/rude A-holes that don't know what they're doing out there.

Basically, I don't want to get burned on the purchase due to my own naivity and want to be a responsible boater out there on the water...not to mention, I'd like to be able to catch some fish occasionally!

Anyone have any sage-like advice for a boat newbie?

For instance, this one looks to be in my ballpark: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/4320138042.html

Is Bay Stealth a dependable setup? I know that Yamahas are reputable motors, but how many hours are too many? It comes with a powerpole, depthfinder, trolling motor, and an oxygen system. What do you guys think?

Comment

Get you an aluminum boat. You can also find Carolina Skiff's cheap in good chape if your looking for a hull that isnt aluminum, but its also a rough ride.
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

Karma's a beach.

Comment

Karma's a beach.

Comment

Karma's a beach.

Comment

I think it depends on what KIND of fishing you plan on doing...Gonna go to the flats get out and wade? Drift deeper water...throw bait? One thing I would agree with 89 is that a boat that runs skinny like an aluminum or C Skiff would be beneficial in west bay...
              sigpic

Comment

I'm definitely not looking for a skiff boat or an aluminum, but I do appreciate the input. I'm looking for your run-of-the-mill 19-22 ft. bay boat, has at least a 150 outboard on it (preferably a yamaha), and is more versatile that a skiff for different kinds of fishing. I've fished off skiffs before and got the crap beat out of us when the wind picked up or trying to cross a bay. I was not a fan. Basically, I know what type of boat I want, I just don't know how to shop for them.

Comment

I have a friend parents that have a 7 year old 24' carolina with 150 has been in water 4 times in 7 years, galv single axle trailer, 5500
                  give me a call if interested and will get you their #

Comment

Things I find beneficial in a boat:

Trolling Motor
                    Bimini Top / or K/T Top (something for shade)
                    Trim Tabs. Big plus if it has them!
                    Good Electronics
                    Live Well
                    Lockable Storage

Things to do when looking at a used boat:
                    Invest in a compression gauge and test the compression on each cylinder
                    Look at the wiring block for neat orderly wiring and not corroded jumbled mess
                    Take the fuel line off near the motor and use the bulb to squeeze a pint or two of fuel into a clear jar looking for sediment or water separation.
                    Crawl underneath the trailer and look at the bottom of the boat. Look for repaired places or cracks. Look at the trailer springs and axle for severe corrosion.
                    If it has a whale tail on the motor, that's a big negative sign for me.

If it passes those sniff tests, then get juiced about if if you like the looks and layout of the boat.

Condition and upkeep play a bigger role in used boat buying than make, model and year for me. That's my two copper disks.

Comment

Working...
                    X