Ok what's the trick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok what's the trick?

Been out learning the West Bay three times this spring and for the life of me I can't figure out the trick to locating the channels and cuts. Especially between the known reefs. Is it an experience thing? Is it a high tide thing? Our are you guys relying on your chart plotter lines? How am I supposed to use the PVC markers. Are they center or edge of the cut?
    Blowing through the bay like you guys do, that's either experience or guts.

Teach the newbie [emoji1]

Time, trial and error. Nothing you can do in three times but scratch the surface brother. I'm 42 and I've had my own boat on west bay since I was 14. Still learning every time I go. Patience is key.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I'm still learning myself, from my experiences the pvc pipes are the edge of the reefs. I swing out away from them at least 20 yards. If your gonna get closer to fish them lift your motor and use your trolling motor. Trust your depth finder, I'll never forget the guy in a new whaler along skyline ran across a reef and said I thought my depth finder was lying to me.
      Green grass and high tides forever
      Mike Mathena

Comment

Go out there during the super low winter tides so you can see everything.
        TRUSSMAN

Comment

Study the Hooksetter map depths, reefs, shorelines and use Google earth and use your plotter and depth finder. If ya aint sure and see a shallowing, slow the heck down and be ready to run aground. PVC-some mark 'watch out' spots like reefs or stickups; others mark channels and hard to tell if yur spota be rt or ft of the pole. Best is to do your hoemwork and always approach areas you studied that look 'tough' as tough and putt thru them-a bamboo pole or buddy up front poling depths while putting can help and watch other boats, follow their trail but stay 300-500 yards behind-he may be going to a flat to fish and runs much shallower than you-look for deep v boats as main ones to follow (but NEVER on a holiday weekend).

HIRE A GUIDE TO SHOW YOU AROUND SOME and tell him you want to learn navigation more than fish.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

^^^^^ All the above !!! Sometimes you can see the reefs by color and different water movement. use depth finder and be careful!

Comment

All good feedback above... I'm a little over a year in to owning my own place and boat on West Bay... let's just say the bottom of my boat looks a little different than it did when I bought it. I guess that's to be expected.

Things I've learned...1. If you run around enough, you're going to hit stuff... no matter how careful you are. Hope you don't hit something going fast. 2. Study Google Earth and learn where the obvious obstacles are. 3. Go SLOW, use your trolling motor and learn. 4. Hire a guide...I did this early on and the knowledge I gained was invaluable. 5. Go, have fun, and be prepared.

I'm light years ahead of where I was when I started and this forum has been a life saver (literally).

Comment

Here's a good idea...my buddy Cpt Mark went with me in my boat years ago and we hit all of west bay marking the gps o
                for reefs, channels, where to go and where not to go. The you have it in there and you can build experience from that. Call him up and for a cheap fee (your boat and gas@) you get the tour.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input. By no means do I believe I will learn it all in 3 or in 30 trips. I expect to hit stuff cause that's where the fish are, right? Soon I plan on hiring a guide to show the wife what my end goal is. And I am thinking about renaming the boat GO SLOW.

FlyPelican- I agree this forum is a life saver. Thx

Comment

"No bird has 3' legs"

Comment

I good pair of Polarized specs wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                        I good pair of Polarized specs wouldn't hurt either.
                        I was just thinking that some Costas would be a great father's day gift.

Comment

...a good pair of glasses, meaning binocs might be a good investment as well. Grew up on West Bay and there are more times than not when I was running south of Alligator Head after leaving the houseboat we had on Hall's growing up I'd go really slow and glass the boats that were cutting through the cuts I was wanting to learn.
                          Of course times and the topography of the Bay has changed since those days long ago, but the same still holds true.

You'll learn enough soon to be able to find where the red crab trap is I am sure!

Comment

Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha is the red crab trap like when ppl are looking for the lagoon? Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha this site is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Atexan View Post
                              Been out learning the West Bay three times this spring and for the life of me I can't figure out the trick to locating the channels and cuts. Especially between the known reefs. Is it an experience thing? Is it a high tide thing? Our are you guys relying on your chart plotter lines? How am I supposed to use the PVC markers. Are they center or edge of the cut?
                              Blowing through the bay like you guys do, that's either experience or guts.

Teach the newbie [emoji1]
                              Think about it... If there is a channel will the PVC be in the middle? If a channel is marked there should be two, and the channel is in between .... If there is a random PVC, it is most likely marking shell or some type of structure.
                              Karma's a beach.

Comment

Working...
                              X