Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ShallowSports owners in West Bay

Hey Guys

Im in the market for a new/first boat. I live in Sea Isle and will store it there. I most likely fish West Bay, from Xmas to Tiki and back lakes. Im big into wading and marshes.

Anyways I have found some great deals on Shallow Sports in South Texas (the sport and bahia models) and wondered if anyone is running them in West Bay and how they handle our area. Basically I curious how they handle a run or crossing the bay or to the northshore line and ICW. I wanna make sure i dont pay my mortgage to my chiropractor.

Mainly looking for anything under 21ft and under 25k, bc I do most of my fishing solo and less boat to maintain.

So I'm not a shallow sport guy but I do run a flats boat. I have an 18' southshore. Any of the economical (under 25K) flats type boats will get crazy skinny and that's kind of the allure but you do sacrifice a bit of big water stability / handling capability. All of them are still plenty seaworthy - you just have to take it slow and steady in rough water. There are definitely some smooth running options but the price point goes up pretty quick. I just don't get in a hurry and I've not had too many problems. I'd be more worried about running aground while you're super skinny. Pushing sucks!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I have a 2014 SS 21' modified V. Great boat and does pretty well in chop and shallow water. I wanted the V bow to run in rougher water and have been happy with my boat.

Comment

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

i had a 18' Bahia, it runs very shallow but it didn't handle the chop very well. I wouldn't recommend it for west bay, more for a bay like Christmas. If you want a boat to run shallow and handle some chop, look at the cat-style boats, like Trans, Haynie, Shoalwater and JH. The JH models "B" and Majek Slam have a V front and will run shallow also.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
            i had a 18' Bahia, it runs very shallow but it didn't handle the chop very well. I wouldn't recommend it for west bay, more for a bay like Christmas. If you want a boat to run shallow and handle some chop, look at the cat-style boats, like Trans, Haynie, Shoalwater and JH. The JH models "B" and Majek Slam have a V front and will run shallow also.
            Yea I keep hearing cat is where I need to be. I have eyes on a Shoal 19 in my range. Just no where near galveston.

Buying a used boat right now is a struggle. Everything overpriced and gone quick.

My dad has a z23 skeeter Bay for the days I have more people.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X