Clear All

• slyell
    replied
    thanks for the advice every1!

Leave a comment:

• Fisher_Of_Men
    replied
    Originally posted by reeltime View Post
    also if your axle is warped it well go thur tires and wheel bearing ask me i've been there done that.
    Yep, bent or warped axles are bad on tires... Bad springs also cause tires to wear....

Leave a comment:

• Fisher_Of_Men
    replied
    Originally posted by slyell View Post
    how do u tell if the axle is warpped, scarred, or messed up?
    It's the spindle that needs the attention. You will know as soon as you try to slide the new bearings on. If they slide on easily, your good to go. If they stick or you feel you have to tap them on, you need to work it down with some emory paper...

Leave a comment:

• slyell
    replied
    how do u tell if the axle is warpped, scarred, or messed up?

Leave a comment:

• Fisher_Of_Men
    replied
    Wow!! That's not the worst I've seen, but pretty common. Here's what I suggest. I would replace the hubs but examine the spindles real good. I had the same thing happen to me and grooved my spindle real good. I was able to round it off by hand with emory paper and the new bearings slipped on real easy.
    The most common misconception is that water enters the bearing thru the bearing buddies etc.... the truth is the rear seal breaks down and the bearing buddy causes the grease to seep out the back seal...if there is no pressure, water just settles in the bearing.
    In the future, peek at the back of the hubs to see if there is a buildup of grease. This is usually a sign of worn rear seals.. time to replace them.

Also, I would use the new synthetic grease options. I found some stuff. I don't know the proper name. It is nuclear green and cast 9$ a tube at Autozone... but nothing can break this stuff down. Wear gloves because Lava, Go-Jo, Gasoline, Acetone, cannot wash this stuff off.

Good luck....

Leave a comment:

• reeltime
    replied
    also if your axle is warped it well go thur tires and wheel bearing ask me i've been there done that.

Leave a comment:

• Tejasreds
    replied
    I would put new hub kits on both sides, that way you know for piece of mind that they are good. Probably run you around $60-70 to do them both if I remember correct. Make sure the axle isn't scared or messed up when you get them off. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• slyell
    started a topic Trailer Bearings!!

Trailer Bearings!!

So after 1/2 a year I hit the water w/ the boat but guess i didnt check to see if the bearings on the trailer were still in good shape... dont know (maybe 60 miles? maybe 5 miles?) when they busted but after getting to my friend's carwash after the trip we realized the wheel had been rotating around the spindle and it was red hot!! Do yall think judging from the picture i can just install new bearings or do yall think i need to get a whole hub kit? I dont think the spindle is damaged.. the tire's in good shape still too..
    Attached Files
Working...
X