Nothing Impressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
    We'll have to do the FWE Gig Trip this year last year we had 10 2COOLers come out... it was quite an impressive turnout... I think most are now members over here but it sure was fun
    I'll join you...I gotta get some sticking done before we move to Colorado in 6 weeks...

Comment

So when you guys are gigging and you stick em, I'm guessing you stick your hands under them to get them and bring them up? My only thought is that you betta really make sure his eyes are not red before he goes stirring up the water and you can't tell. Almost like Saltwater grappling hahaha

I ain't knocking it, just thinking if I ever gigged I'd make so sure it was a flounder that it would probably push off before I ever gigged him.

Comment

that you betta really make sure his eyes are not red
        Huh? Redeye flounder?

I hit them right in the gillplate if I can, keep them pinned down. Reach under them and get my hand so I can make sure they don't slip off. I then rotate the gig so the pointy end is up. I can then support the whole thing with the one hand that was holding the flounder on. The other hand then gets the stringer untied and string 'em. Pull them off the gig and go find another.

Comment

I jus flop in the cooler from the bow...don't touch em till it's time to clean.

Comment

I like the cork screw gig that someone on here posted a while back. Couple turns and no way the flounder can get off much less abrassive than a gig with threads... I think it was custom made...
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Use a barbed gig from a boat. Poke in the head, its a boney area. Wait until the fish calms down and then sweep the fish up and into the boat. When lifting the fish of the bottom you turn the gig so as the fish is moving head first. This helps with hydro-dynamics to help the fish stay pinned on the gig verses water pressure that may lead to the fish being pulled of the gig.

Fish loss, though unfortunate, does occasionaly happen. In truth. 1/2 the fish I lose I am able to track back down for a second successfull stab.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
              X