No announcement yet.

Flounder Boat Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL...I'VE taken pot shots at gars before with a gig. It was like shooting at steel plate with a .22! You must have some damn sharp gigs or are as powerful as the Hulk.
    That smaller prop should slow you down to a comfortable pace. Keep us updated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
      LOL...I'VE taken pot shots at gars before with a gig. It was like shooting at steel plate with a .22! You must have some damn sharp gigs or are as powerful as the Hulk.
      That smaller prop should slow you down to a comfortable pace. Keep us updated.
      It was a brand new gig, so yes, it was sharp. I think I hit him pretty hard, because we had to pull him up out of the mud.lol

I'm hoping to get out there this weekend. I'll take some videos and post them if I can.
      Planning on launching from the Dike and staying in that general area.
      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

tie on a bowling ball it will slow ya down
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
          tie on a bowling ball it will slow ya down
          Funny you should say that. I just happen to have an old bowling ball that I was thinking of drilling and tapping a hole in for an eye bolt just for that purpose. Thanks for confirming that will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
            .....if you are going down there watch out for those darn ship wakes!!
            Thanks G340. I hadn't really considered that. Hopefully, if we stay close to the shoreline, they won't be too bad.

Comment

That shore line (Tx Cty Dike) pretty much stays muddy. For a quick local trip, launch under the dickinson bridge at hwy146 and exlpore the shore line from the bridge out to dickinson bay. That area can be hit or miss. Sometimes big barges or shrimp boats from Hillmans come through the channel and that will muddy it up for a while but it usually settles out pretty quickly. That shore line will be a real test as to how shallow you can draft with the out board trimed up and on the fan. Lots of old tires and oyster out-crops as obstacles to navigate around as you follow the shoreline but with hard work you can do it and score fish.
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                That shore line (Tx Cty Dike) pretty much stays muddy. For a quick local trip, launch under the dickinson bridge at hwy146 and exlpore the shore line from the bridge out to dickinson bay. That area can be hit or miss. Sometimes big barges or shrimp boats from Hillmans come through the channel and that will muddy it up for a while but it usually settles out pretty quickly. That shore line will be a real test as to how shallow you can draft with the out board trimed up and on the fan. Lots of old tires and oyster out-crops as obstacles to navigate around as you follow the shoreline but with hard work you can do it and score fish.
                I've caught flounder in that area before, but wasn't sure the water would be clear enough for gigging. Should we go at low tide??? or does it matter??? The other option we are considering is the north side of Pelican Island.

Comment

I've always wanted to try pelican, just never did it.
                  Over all when gigging from a boat a high tide with little or no moon on a clear and windless night to me is best.
                  For instance during a high tide you can float over flats around the pass and other areas and the water will be gin clear.
                  It's funny how when floating over a flat with no nearby structures or ledges the amount of large flounder you can come across.
                  Dickinson area is usually a drastic move to go gigging on short notice for me. Mostly I will be in SLP,west, bastrop and christmas bays.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                    NFNP noflounder near pelican . J/k Low incoming
                    Thanks!

Comment

Bowling balls float !!

Comment

Originally posted by A6TEXAN View Post
                        Bowling balls float !!
                        I kinda wondered about that and if one drilled enough holes to sink they would take up unnecessary space.

I drag 5lb flat barbell weights attached to chains, Sometimes just one, some times both. Sometimes just one on port and sometimes just one to starboard, it all just depends on what the conditions dictate.
                        Everyone thinks this stuff is a cake walk but it can be on the same level as a pro guide trolling for his specks and reds.
                        To fast you over shoot, too slow and they may eventually bolt out of they're bed. If you are constantly fighting the attitude of the boat as you are trying to follow the shore line you can miss them as well. A super light boat in Murky Galveston bay is the key to being a happy gigger.
                        I seriously need to get my License.

Comment

We're gonna take the boat out tonight and see if we can stick some flatties...watch for the report!

Comment

Working...
                          X