Flounder Beat Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Beat Down

TXSHOCKWAVE & I took advantage of the low winds that were in the forecast last night.

We launched at Harborwalk around 7:45PM on the north shoreline and were met by calm conditions to a slight south breeze. Lights on & gigging by 8PM.

On our first spot, the water clarity was less than ideal but at a slow drift we were able to make out a flounder buried deep in the mud. I nailed it and brought my first flounder (from a boat) into the cooler. We continued along the shoreline steadily losing clarity.

We decided to move after about 30 minutes and ran up into a protected body of water only to find 3-4 flounder boats already up in the area we wanted to target. As we pulled into a good area an airboat comes in behind us and wakes the entire area and destroys all visibility. We really appreciated that.

We decided to go back to our original plan. So we made a 20 minute run to our next spot. When we pulled in there was already a boat in the area! Good news is that they were leaving and appeared to be working a shoreline not ideal to the conditions last night.

We made a our move into the area and flipped on the lights. We gigged here for 2 hours & I picked up 4 more. We were using some older gigs that I had made about 2 years ago. As James was helping to move the boat back to the shore a prong came off and we were now down to one operational gig. He gave me some crap about it too. His design is much better lol.

We continued along for another couple of hours it seemed like. We saw a bunch of blue crabs and only 1 stone crab. We did get a nice claw off the stoney.

A boat came into the area so we left this area and gigged a few spots on the the way out with no success. We already had 5 and we almost were ready to call it due to the low visibility.

At about 1AM we made our move back to the ramp. We decided to work two more areas and it's a good thing we did. With James now on the working gig we worked with the wind in an area where some guys had been fishing earlier in the night. It's a good thing we did too cause we quickly landed 5 more fish.

All fish that we gigged were safely brought into the boat.

We were off the water around 2:30 and probably both leaving the ramp around 3AM. I was back up in Houston with the boat cleaned, dogs fed & let out, showered & finally in bed at 5 AM.

It was a great night. I hope others took advantage of the great conditions last night.

James said he'll be posting some photos later of the flounder. Here's one of them all in the cooler and a shot of the generator on the back of the Gator-Tail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	572880

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	572879

Oh, before we launched we met up with IBTSOOM and justogm here on the website to drop off some custom made gigs that James built. It's much better then the ones we used last night and has 1 extra point than the original style I came up with.

Gigs are custom made, they come 10' long or we can cut down to a walking gig. PM myself or TXSHOCKWAVE to order one today.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Awesome jobs guys. Sweet Gigs Shockwave.

Hey Coe, when did you put lights on your boat? Any pics of it now?

Stinging Bee and I went last night also. I'll post a report later.
    "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Originally posted by RockFish11 View Post
      Awesome jobs guys. Sweet Gigs Shockwave.

Hey Coe, when did you put lights on your boat? Any pics of it now?

Stinging Bee and I went last night also. I'll post a report later.
      TXSHOCKWAVE built the flounder deck, poling platform & lights. I purchased a 2000W Yamaha generator to power the lights. Everything is removable my boat can go from flounder rig, to poling skiff, to mud rig, to a duck blind in about 10 minutes.

Here's a link to a post that has the photos etc.

Comment

WTG fellas! I knew ya'll would find em.. it was beautiful out there last night! My new gig look bad arse - hope to try it out soon!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
          TXSHOCKWAVE built the flounder deck, poling platform & lights. I purchased a 2000W Yamaha generator to power the lights. Everything is removable my boat can go from flounder rig, to poling skiff, to mud rig, to a duck blind in about 10 minutes.

Here's a link to a post that has the photos etc.

http://www.fishwestend.com/forum/thr...898#post135898
          OH Yeah, Thats Nice. Cool clean set up?
          "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

good show!
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Flounder Beat Down

Comment

Re: Flounder Beat Down

That's what I'm talking bout Wtg James and Coe
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Good job gentlemen...

Comment

Working...
                  X