Diy Underwater Gigging Lites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diy Underwater Gigging Lites

I've posted a pair of diy underwater gigging light that my son-in-law and I made last year. We got the idea from Smackdaddy and LaddH over at 2cool.

Instead of using a battery in a backpack we used lipo batteries that fit is a tube at the end of the light. Each weighs 11.1 oz and is rechargeable. Run time is well over 10 hours, plenty of time for a gigging trip.

I painted them last week using Krylon Camoflage Black paint. It is supposed to bond to pvc. I put about 4 coats on each light and lightly sanded in between. I put 2-3 coats of Krylon clear satin acrylic spray paint to protect the black paint....probably overkill.

I bought some decals and a rodruler and put them on the lights. Just wanted to share some before and after pics.

We went gigging on Friday nite and it was windy. Saw 1 10" flatty and 3 stingrays. It was nice to get out though.

nice

Comment

Nice lights u got there!!

Comment

Re: Diy Underwater Gigging Lites

Good job Ron... how is everything in paradise? who said there's nothing good to Gleen of the other site.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Very cool looking. Where'd you get the batteries?
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

nice set up you came up with!
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
              Very cool looking. Where'd you get the batteries?
              Got them at a RC hobby shop in Stafford off Hwy 90.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

I built mine the same except I used a 6v, I think I like the way you did it better with the battery being self contained. I guess you just attach the proper connection to the wires coming from the lights and then plug the battery put the top on and go.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
                  I built mine the same except I used a 6v, I think I like the way you did it better with the battery being self contained. I guess you just attach the proper connection to the wires coming from the lights and then plug the battery put the top on and go.
                  Nice lites!!!!!!!!! Yes, all you have to do to make them self-contained is get a lipo battery. Mine cost less than $60 and the battery charger a little more. I got 13 hours of run-time in an early test. We plug them in and let them run without really worrying about them going out.

We decided not to put a handle on them. I grab the lite and let it roll in my hand from side to side. With my hand on the pvc I am able to push the lite from the 10:00 to 2:00 position in front of me. With the handle it seems like your hand/arm is pulling the lite through the water. What do you think?

Comment

What Kind of Lights are you guys using? and where did you find them? I cant seem to find any I like..

Comment

Originally posted by Ron R. View Post
                      Nice lites!!!!!!!!! Yes, all you have to do to make them self-contained is get a lipo battery. Mine cost less than $60 and the battery charger a little more. I got 13 hours of run-time in an early test. We plug them in and let them run without really worrying about them going out.

We decided not to put a handle on them. I grab the lite and let it roll in my hand from side to side. With my hand on the pvc I am able to push the lite from the 10:00 to 2:00 position in front of me. With the handle it seems like your hand/arm is pulling the lite through the water. What do you think?
                      I actually haven't even field tested them yet, I built them last summer and loaned them out once but never got out myself.

Comment

The lights were purchased from oznium.com mine are the green LEDs.

Comment

Working...
                        X