Father's Day Weekend Flounder Gigging Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's Day Weekend Flounder Gigging Trip

My son-in-law and I planned a 2-day camping trip to Galveston for Father's Day weekend. We reserved a spot for our 22' Hi-Lo travel trailer at the San Luis County Park.

We like to gig along the West End mainly. Friday night my son-in-law saw 4 flounder. He saw the first one about 1 minute into the gigging trip. The flounder looked like it might be right at 14" to 15" so he decided not to gig it. All the other 3 were undersized. I didn't spot 1 flounder that night. Water clarity was good to 2' and the wind was under 10 mph. We tried 2 spots. At the second spot I saw 2 nice flounder beds and over 100 crabs, mostly small. We saw lots of crabs mating which is a good sign.

Saturday night we gigged 2 flatties--a 15"er and a 17"er. We saw some larger flounder beds with no flounder there. The smallest flounder was about 1' from the shoreline. We saw a small stingray.

We tried a new spot........the East End Lagoon. The place was trashy, but I have read some older reports about folks floundering down there. It was windy there and the water clarity was poor. We had heard reports about a gator being out there, but had seen several folks fishing from the bank and wading out there. My SIL got worried, so the windy conditions and poor visibility got us in and out pretty quick.

We got back to the camper about 3am so I decided to fish off the San Luis County Park (old KOA campsite) until dawn. I was using large dead shrimp and casting it way out. I caught a 20"+ keeper red, a 2' hammerhead, a big hardhead, 1 huge eel, 1 small whiting and 1 small sand trout. I only kept the redfish.

It was a nice weekend. Low stress. Washed the Hi-Lo camper at the car wash at Jamaica Beach and got some crab po-boys from Shrimp N' Stuff there.

Here are some pics of the flatties:

Mine is the bigger one.

Lastly, we saw several folks wading off the beach at SLP.......all without pfds. Never ceases to amaze me. What was new was seeing 2 young guys sitting on the SLP bridge as I was driving over with their legs dangling over the side. Yep, both guys jumped off the bridge on the Freeport side. God was watching over them.

Good fun . The waders , kids jumping off the bridge.....surprised we don't have more deaths . My belly would probably float me but i wear a wade-aid wade belt . . If i'm in the pass , i'll wear a sos suspenders also. Don't fish in the pass hardly though .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great Fishin!!
      "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Nice report!!
        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Nice report! Sounds like a fun weekend topped off with an awesome sandwich!!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice flatties.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
            X