Flounder Trip 8-9-13 & Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Trip 8-9-13 & Question

My son-in-law and I took the Hi-Lo camper down to Galveston's West End last Friday nite. We gigged a few spots and ended up with 5 flatties ranging from 15" to 18". The wind was around 5 mph. It was the nite right before that Saturday morning storm. We were out from 10:30 pm until 3:30 am so did alot of walking. Instead of baking them whole like I usually do I fileted the top and bottom halves leaving only the bone in the middle. I took the skins off and placed some filets on the bottom of the baking pan, added crab stuffing on top and placed some more filets on top. Super good!!!!!!

Here's a pic I took of the one that got away which leads me to my question:

We saw about 30+ flounder beds with no flounder in them. They were about 15-20' from the shore so they couldn't have been that close to the shore during the day. They looked pretty fresh because you could see the outline pretty clearly. I've gigged for years and seen many that you could tell had been there a few days.

When you see beds like that, does this mean the flounder got there right after sundown or do you think they were there feeding right before sunrise the prior day? Just trying to figure out when the best gigging times are.

Flounder Trip 8-9-13 & Question

Nice work sounds like you got it figured out.

Flounder move in and out with the tides you just missed them.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yes , boneless fillets for stuffed flounder . 2112 put up a stuffed flounder casserole layering fillets , dressing , oysters ( or maybe i added that ) , shrimp, crabmeat with pictures about 1 -1 1/2 years ago . I made it ....great . Thanks for sharing . Looks like you'll have more to report in the future . Good luck .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great Report ! However I am not educated enough to answer your question..... other than "they gone"
        FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

Based on my experience, I agree. Yeah I'm using 2112's flounder reciepe tonight!! Good job on the stabbing!!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

x3 Incoming tide they move into the shallows. Out going tide they head for deeper water.

Comment

Working...
            X