No announcement yet.

The forum sure has been dead lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And why is the do-net worse than the stringer?

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaRu View Post
      And why is the do-net worse than the stringer?
      Good question while staying on topic.
      Culling fish is always going to be hard on the released fish that has been kept for awhile.
      I think what Yan is meaning is that a fish that has been kept stashed alive for a period of time will suffer more in a Do-Net than being on a stringer because most if not all the protective slime coating from the Flounder's body will had been removed from the constant rubbing of being in the Do-Net. On top of that event, the Do-Net will trap the flounder and severly restrict breathing/respirations...the mouth will be trapped shut and the gills will not be able to flare. Remember the fish already has some form of tramau do to a hook in the jaw or even worse, a hook deep in the stomach.

If the flounder is on a stringer it will lose less protective slime and if the fish is strung properly it will breath fine.

My angle on the freaking take is when I am gigging, I make absolutley no mistakes. I can tell very easily if a fish is legal or not and the honest truth is I usualy won't even take a Flounder unless it is 17 inches or longer and instruct people in my boat to do the same. Ask any guest thats been in my rig and they will attest to this. Meanwhile. The fall run happens and the majority of people are using live bait and doing the 10 count thing before setting the hook. They don't know what they are 10 counting on. it could be a 13" Flounder or it could be a 28" flounder. I pitty the 10 count 13" flounder.
      Think about this. Have you or any one else ever cleaned a fish and found a hook in its stomach. Probably not because the injury was so severe the fish was never able to feed again and died.

So why the ban on the gig? Ignorance.
      If things are so bad as they say they should had closed the entire fall run from october thru December to every method. No fall harvest for anyone.
      I insist the hook and line does more damage than a gig ever did.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Hey Bert, I have caught a redfish before that had a lead head and a gulp in it's stomach.....
        Happy Thanksgiving to ya!!!!

Comment

I'm with Bert & Yan... If your going to cull you better have that fish on OXYGEN! If you go out and catch 2 fish then you catch two fish your buddy shows you up with one around 20" then so be it... Your taking food home aren't you?
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by TMO View Post
            Hey Bert, I have caught a redfish before that had a lead head and a gulp in it's stomach.....
            Happy Thanksgiving to ya!!!!
            Well, that just fragged my theory to hell now, didn't it?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
              Catch 2 on rod or gigg 2 same thing.I have never been gigging but taking 2 flounder nomatter how is 2 flounder.
              I agree with you on this but I'm not going to load up all my stuff and run across the bay in the middle of the night for 2 flounder. Its almost not worth it for 5 of them.

Comment

I Agree 2 flounder isn't enough and I also agree that it shouldn't matter how you get the 2 aswell rod/reel or by gig 2 flounder is 2 flounder no matter how you look at it..
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Someone flip the calendar before Bert has a heartattack..LOL I'm with ya buddy! Bring on Dec!. I'm pretty Peezzed at those flatties.

Comment

Working...
                  X