Where to buy gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy gear

For those of you who don't make your own lights (which seems like very few), is there someone in the Houston or surrounding areas (or Galveston) that makes and sells flounder gigging lights and gigs? I would even be interested if someone does it privately. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jimmy

I bought gigs and lights at academy deferral years ago. I would bet they still sell them.

Comment

Academy sells them still. Some of the companies that sell underwater lights do also.

Comment

lantern.
        Karma's a beach.

Comment

i think walmart even has some cheap gigs
          Karma's a beach.

Comment

I don't know of any one that sells underwater setups locally. You can find them online.
            If you want to go with Lanterns...Don't buy anything in the stores. Go to Ebay and get
            you a Coleman 295 Powerhouse made before 1993.
            The lanterns you find in the stores are now made in China and are a waste of money.
            Poor light output and dim at the slightest puff of wind. Also buy your mantles online.
            Texsport mantles with the pink tops. They put out a white light instead of the dingy yellow.

Gigs are available at local stores, but they are poorly made also. That would be compaired to
            what you can make yourself. You can find better ones online.

Comment

made these last yr. work good.
              Karma's a beach.

Comment

For the lantern advocates- would you say the light is as good as underwater LEDs for seeing the flounder?

Comment

Order some LED lights....Do it right so you don't have to buy again later....lanterns get heavy and hot.

Comment

Even though you may wish to buy pre-made, I made my own LED lights this way (see link), they work great and are lite and cool and cool :

At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Lanterns will give you more range when you are walking very shallow areas, that's the plus side.
                      On the negative side, you get more glare back in sandy water.

With led lights you can see the bottom better, but you need to use multiple lamps or
                      you will find that you will have to move your lights back and forth to lot to cover your area.

Here is a post on my LED setup.

Comment

Wow! is that attached to your feet?

Comment

Originally posted by scanoefisher View Post
                          Wow! is that attached to your feet?
                          Yes they are. They take a lot of work to make.
                          Aluminum underwater pool lights and I gave to grind the ends down to fit in the PVC.
                          A much simpler method would be to use a pole with a section of light weight angle ( aluminum)
                          to mount the lights to. They come with a bracket, so that would be easy.
                          Mount 3 or 4 and you would have plenty of light.
                          I get them on ebay.
                          Type in (underwater LED pool light)

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                            Yes they are. They take a lot of work to make.
                            Aluminum underwater pool lights and I gave to grind the ends down to fit in the PVC.
                            A much simpler method would be to use a pole with a section of light weight angle ( aluminum)
                            to mount the lights to. They come with a bracket, so that would be easy.
                            Mount 3 or 4 and you would have plenty of light.
                            I get them on ebay.
                            Type in (underwater LED pool light)
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/270992200411...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            They are also great for walking the dog at night . It frees up your left hand for your bourban on the rocks while holding the leash with the right .
                            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                              I don't know of any one that sells underwater setups locally. You can find them online.
                              If you want to go with Lanterns...Don't buy anything in the stores. Go to Ebay and get
                              you a Coleman 295 Powerhouse made before 1993.
                              The lanterns you find in the stores are now made in China and are a waste of money.
                              Poor light output and dim at the slightest puff of wind. Also buy your mantles online.
                              Texsport mantles with the pink tops. They put out a white light instead of the dingy yellow.

Gigs are available at local stores, but they are poorly made also. That would be compaired to
                              what you can make yourself. You can find better ones online.
                              Sorry about the date:
                              I looked at the year on my lanterns and they are 1999 or earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X