7/1: Dumb ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/1: Dumb ****

After two lovely days in the office - the kind of days that you are happy to go home at the end of the day and proud of not killing one of your coworkers - I decided to run to Galveston last night and gig behind The Pass. I don't plan on fishing this weekend because of the crowds and figured it wouldn't be too zany on the island in the middle of the week. Sitting in Houston, the conditions looked pretty good - not much moon, low tide in the middle of the night, winds laying down.

I loaded up, had a drink with my darling bride at the local gin mill and left home about 8p. I got out of the truck, grabbed my stuff and got ready to go. I was then reminded that I can be a real dumb **** from time to time. I had my light, my gig, my fanny pack for the batteries, and........no batteries. They were sitting on the charger on my work bench in the garage. I chuckled, thought about going back home and going to bed, thought about going to the Sand Bar and getting hammered, then decided to see what I could make of it.

I have a pretty good LED flashlight I carry with me for emergencies. I grabbed it out of the truck, grabbed my gig and headed out - travelling light. I walked a pretty good ways behind Pointe West and then back to the SW toward the pass. Water was actually pretty sandy, pretty hard to see (especially with a flashlight). My gigging range was limited to 4" to 6" depth. I didn't see any fish but saw a gillion blue crab and a variety of interesting sea life. I carried my net bag with me and harvested a full bag of trash and crap left behind by the careless among us. All in all, I got what I needed - three or four hours of plunking around in the saltwater.

I had to laugh at myself. Thought you might like to laugh at me too.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Ah ha! There are no flounder there!!

I've been known to leave the gig at home....

At least you got out there.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

It's happened to me. Let those among us that are perfect throw rocks.

Comment

Or stringers...

Comment

CRS, I get it all of the time from what I can remember. Can't Remember Sheit!
          Beandaddy

Comment

Thanks for cleaning up!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Don't feel bad.

One time I fell asleep in the truck. Woke up the next morning.
              West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by moonpie View Post
                don't feel bad.

One time i fell asleep in the truck. Woke up the next morning.
                that's the best ! Too funny !
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Yep like going hunting and forgetting the gun, happens to everyone

Comment

Can 'ya gig crabs?
                    Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                    "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                      Don't feel bad.

One time I fell asleep in the truck. Woke up the next morning.
                      Done that fishing the surf fished the lights all night drank a 30 pack on the slp pier got in the truck in ac at 5 am took an hour powernap awaiting day break woke up at 9am.[emoji23]
                      Last edited by dbarham; July 2, 2014, 07:33 PM.
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

I don't quite follow that .
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
                          Can 'ya gig crabs?
                          Yes you can...or just step on them and grab the back flippers.. Sometimes I'll take my Doughnet with me when I
                          feel like bringing some home.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                            Yes you can...or just step on them and grab the back flippers.. Sometimes I'll take my Doughnet with me when I
                            feel like bringing some home.
                            Oh , I would like that as well as gigging . I've asked before , is crabbing in the surf with chicken necks still productive ?

Comment

....I could use some of those little Blue Crabs Fo' Sho' come tourney time!!

Comment

Working...
                              X