No announcement yet.

Flounder Round Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current plan is to either pick up the flatties from MilkJug early Saturday and transport them via truck to FM 2004 bridge... then take them the rest of the way by boat... Or unless someone else with more knowledge of the area wants to take them thats cool... I'm trying to get an oxygen system for Friday so hopefully I'll be able to lock one down and we can transport the fish more efficiently and keep them alive and perky better than a battery operated bubble machine...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Milk- Leaving the GF at home I told her its going to be cold...

Will be down for an evening at SLP... I'll bring fire wood

The place I'm thinking of has a nice drop off to knee deep and doesn't fluctuate too much with the tide... or we can toss them in a cooler w/ the oxygen system

Comment

Also, Mudskipper talked about how he was able to turn in smaller male flounder, <14" but we would not.

Should I go ahead and net any small ones I find? I heard that TPWD needs quite a few for breeding. Does a fish in a pen count in your possession? "I didn't know it was there Mr. Warden, I just built the pen around it" Then mabey Mud could put them into his net before he leaves to turn them in.

Comment

I am netting everything if its a baby I'm grabbing it... The more the better! I'll even throw in a bunch of fingerling mullet and watch them feed

Comment

Hehe, all night floundering is a spartan event, not for the ladies

Good deal, we should be able to round up plenty of firewood from all the debris.

Sounds like a good spot. Sand bottom? The dropping tide might actually make it easier to catch them in the morning, which was a concern of mine. Worse case, if it drops too much, we just move them into the cooler.

Shoot, we may just put them into the cooler if the pen construction ends up being harder than expected.

Coe, out of curiosity, does the spot have any deeper areas adjacent? May bring a rod and sand spike and see if I can't get a red or two over the evening.

Comment

Hey don't fatten them up too much or we may end up keeping them for the table!

Comment

Yes it does... get to be around waist deep there are shallow areas throughout and drop offs that come up to above your waist... The area where we will be "chilling" is ankle deep and just on the other side of the sand bar is the knee deep water where we should construct the pen if we decide to do that...

If not I think we can get away with big coolers and toss them on the back of the boat w/ trailer and haul them off to the launch at SLP have someone take them for us...

If its a calm day I will drive my rig to chocolate if its rough I'll be driving my car and launching up the bayou...

Comment

Last time I was out there I stepped on 10+ flounder and I use my gig as a walking stick... well I gigged a flattie accidently lol

Not good....

FRIDAY
                  NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTH IN THE AFTERNOON.
                  BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

FRIDAY NIGHT
                  NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20
                  KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. BAY WATERS SLIGHTLY CHOPPY INCREASING TO CHOPPY
                  AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SATURDAY
                  NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. BAY WATERS CHOPPY.

BURRRR!! Fire will be needed indeed

National Weather Service Marine Forecast FZUS54 KHGX provided via the National Data Buoy Center (NDBC) website.

Comment

Take a lot of pictures. I have to work the next 2 weekends in a row so can't help.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Guys,

Just to be clear.....I will have a permit to retain undersized flounder from TPWD....

You can be ticketed for retaining them......so if you choose to keep them for the tournament, be aware of the regulations....

Or you could simply bring them to me at the SLP in the morning....I will be under the bridge on the Galveston Side........
                      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Mudd I'll be fishing near there with my buddies... Turns out the boat wont be available by then so I will be wade fishing...

Comment

PM sent COE
                          FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Got it... Will see you there Mudd...

Hope to see some of yall tomorrow also for the meeting I know AP said he was going to try and make it... AP what size shirt are you? Or is Moonpie providing yours?!

Comment

gotta new playtoy 7mm we can have sum fun with poachers from a distance
                              Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

LOL This flounder pen is protected by GLOCK!

Comment

Working...
                                X