Congratuations Wayner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratuations Wayner

2010 Flounder Conservationest of the year. Hard to beat that title. Makes me proud to know you.

Camouflage is one of the amazing traits of flounder. Can you find the flounder in this photo?

That is a stark contrast from statements made about flounder over the years. I'm sure you have heard them as often as I have.

"They'll hit anything you drag in front of them."

"They're just a big, dumb bottom fish."

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Flounder are extremely dynamic fish and those who pursue them during times other than the fall run understand this.

The fall run gives part-time flounder anglers a skewed view of the species because you have the vast majority of the population leaving hundreds (sometimes thousands) of square miles of bay and marsh systems and filtering through small passes en masse. These fish are on their way to spawn, need as much fat reserves and energy for the journey as possible so they feed aggressively.

Many anglers who only pursue flounder during the run (and there is not a thing in the world wrong with that) would however be hard-pressed to catch the same limits during summer when the fish are scattered all over the place or seeking holdover flounder in the winter when they barely tap a lure, are rarely hungry and in low concentrations.

Imagine if 75 percent of Lake Fork's bass population filtered through a five mile stretch of the Sabine River during the spawn. Anglers would be catching lunkers left and right, wouldn't they?

Well, that is exactly what happens during the fall run with flounder which is why fishing for them during this period is so much fun.

#The strike of flounder can be nearly undetectable. 2010 Flounder Revolution (R) Conservationist of the Year Wayne Pedigo and I had talk about this and he saw it in a big way this year. So did I. If I was not using super sensitive braided line and was very in tune with the various ways flounder strike I would not have known I had a bite on many days.

The author tries to figure out if he has a bite or not. Often this fall the flounder bite was almost undetectable.

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy 2011. Big things are coming so check back frequently and feel free to contact me any time.

Flounder are not just any fish, they are the greatest and I am thankful for the opportunity to communicate my passion for the species to so many of you who feel the same way.

God bless,

Chester Moore
    Matthew 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

"Can you find the flounder in this photo?"
    That's a hard one. I see 2 eyes just left of center in the photo???

Comment

Way to go Wayner.
      A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Congrats Wayner! I'm proud to know you and you're very deserving of this honor.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I do appreciate the recognition. Chester's dad did indeed carve a flounder replica and sent it to me. Really cool too.

I've done a lot of work on the boat since I got home. Changed out the old live well and converted a large igloo into a flow through live well which also contains an internal pump and filter to use when transporting fish. Put galvanize hubs on the trailer and new springs. By the way Coachlaw, I found some of those spot lights like you had that I liked so much. Got me two of them. I won't get stuck out like that again. LOL!!!

You guys hold the fort down until I get back, OK?

Wayner
          Children are pieces of our heart running around outside of our body.

Comment

congrats

Comment

GOOD GRIEF, WAYNE!
              Now ya got Chester's pop carving wood for you!
              LOL
              Seriously though...big time props to you and cool improvements to the live well system.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Working...
              X