No announcement yet.

The Basics of Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Curmudgeon;115562]Get a paddle "Keeper". They're cheap and will prevent the dreaded floating paddle.[/QUOTE

My kayaks have keepers but of course that will only prevent a floating paddle if your not using it. I suppose a rod/paddle leash would be the best bet.

Comment

[QUOTE=TastyBurp;115564]
      Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
      Get a paddle "Keeper". They're cheap and will prevent the dreaded floating paddle.[/QUOTE

My kayaks have keepers but of course that will only prevent a floating paddle if your not using it. I suppose a rod/paddle leash would be the best bet.

The larger issue is to consider what would happen if the kayak gets turtled (either by you or by a wave/wake). Stow, strap and tie accordingly, not only as you are putting in, but when slipping off for a wade.
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
        Thanks everyone! All this info has been most helpful. I have two used Tarpon 160's. I never plan on going alone and the other one is for my father or whoever is avaliable that day. I may take up your offer to go out with someone who knows the ropes.
        With a Tarpon 16, from experience, I dont think it is too critical to get a rudder. They are pretty fast too. I think u will be fine with it. If u planning to drift alot get a drift sock (i have but done use), I use an anchor to get off and wade. 50% time fish off the kayak plus is good to get out and stretch. MORE IMPORTANT IS A PFD. A light for the dark time, and a FISHING POLE with some artificial. Also a STRINGER... The less u pack the less you have to deal with when u are in the kayak trying to sight cast to some reds!!!!! A paddle keeper is a good idea. Some people put floaters on their equipment, I have not had an issue yet!

Comment

I have a small ice chest for WATER (beer is in the truck) to drink, a place to keep some nabbs. A dip net, tackle box, wading belt with pliers, tackle box and stringer. I have my paddle tied off to the kayak, and a closet rod to hang my clothes on when they get wet. j/k I use the closet rod to pole with when I get too shallow. I also have an anchor.

The PDF is put on before I take the kayak in the water and it is taken off when I am on dry land. I normally go alone, so I try not to leave tooo much to chance.

Comment

Haha, read up Alex, apparently you need a hook-snagging line covering half your yak to tie your anchor to, those pad-eyes are a death sentance! Let's not get into yours or my poor PFD etiquitte.

My paddle sits in my lap when I'm not paddling and that's where it stays. Easy enough. If I pull an amateur-hour and lose it, I will come back and give you due credit, but it hasn't even come close to happening, even in some 2' surf or ripping channel current.

The reason I like yak fishing so much is that it is simple. Don't forget about that or you may end up using too much fishing time with needless rigging or loading/unloading your extra 30lbs of safety equipment.

Comment

agree with milkjug...... other than after wading a shoreline in rough conditions towing yak..i lost my paddle, after i figured it out about mile after it dropped off yak! not saying buy extra paddle just secure it with a leash. I hate the darn things but i hate loosing my paddle worse. Depends how you fish, i wade alot so towing yak is pretty common. but 1 time outta 15 plus years isnt so bad.

Comment

I brought my kayak to a small retention pond and paddled around without any gear for about an hour. The Tarpon 160 is pretty darn quick and I even did the whole umbrella with the wind trick. I can't wait to finally choose and get a rack and bring it to fish the bay. I'm pretty psyched about it. Thanks everyone for your info! Next time I will probably do a run with gear then finally head out to the bay!
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Sounds like you got a good start. Less is best if you ask me. I use a carbon fiber paddle, a life jacket, one rod, one bag of lures, one stringer, one soft cooler (holds a few 2 many) and hat, sunglasses, off, sunscreen. Plastic bag for my cell. I also have a flare gun. Its expired, I don't see me ever needing it.....but if I do, I will be ready!

Have fun! Be safe

Comment

The less you carry the better. Think safety before anything material. Use your own judgment! Not someone elses. Good Luck!!

Comment

If you can snag it or get tangled in it, you will . Less is more and I constantly try and "lighten' my load with each trip. One of the first items I discarded was my net and so far I have not lost anything as I use a fish grip. In a kayak, the fish ends up in your lap and those treble hooks can be adventurous. I have switched out all my back trebles to a single hook and keep the front treble. Probably the single biggest tool I have discovered is using satellite maps (Google or Bing) to locate fishing spots and launches worked with a fishing map (Hook-n-Line). You'll be amazed at all the "out of the way" water there is to fish with a kayak. The most important item is your PFD and wear it ALL of the time. Get a kayak specific PFD as you'll never know you're wearing it.

Lots of great suggestions on this post, now go slime that yak. . . . .
                      Happy Fishin'
                      Chicken

Comment

Working...
                      X