No announcement yet.

Sportsman's Rd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen it named both ways on different maps...thanks for clearing that up.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

i used to wade that area all the time! before i got my little boat.
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Redfishr View Post
        Your gonna upset those Auztons mis-naming their bayou...Its not Oxen.
        They use to be one of the old original commercial fishing families on the west end.
        They lived all around the end of that bayou and it was named after that family.
        My Grandparents lived up north of that bayou as well and I grew up fishin it.
        Sorry, just my 3.14 cents.
        I meant my grandparent lived up south of that bayou not north....
        "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
          i used to wade that area all the time! before i got my little boat.
          When i was a boy that bayou and the long canal dug on the ESE end of it was a magical place...
          There was literally thousands of trout caught out of that canal,(we called Dickies Hole) from the late 60,s through the 70's by folks that fished it which mostly consisted of my family and one other family. It was easy walking distance from my grandmothers house but none of the neighbors fished. Except the Auztons but they didnt use Rod-n-Reel. Nets and gigs only.
          But they never seined that hole. They left it alone to the rod-n-reel guys as they called us.
          I've gone in there by boat a few times over recent years and its got lots of house built around it now. I couldnt catch a fish.
          "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Comment

Progress has ruined a many great hunting and fishing spots.

Those are good memories Redfishr.........hold on to them.
            Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Good stuff Redfishr...thanks for sharing. I always like hearing about fishing back then...and in earlier times.
              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Cool info. Is there enough room for a yak trailer at the end of SR?

Comment

That's solid information. I've waded there , then kayaked the place. I learned some new info from this, thanks for the report. Also, looking at MILKJUG's map, at the lower left hand cornor of the picture near #6 just out of view is an outfall that leads back to the marsh complex. I have been back there in my kayak when high bay tides have pushed fish into deep marsh areas and have caught all of the big 3. Kayak place only.
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Brazos I took a trailer once.If you are the first person there you can turn a trailer around with a little work.Best not to have one.

Comment

Thanks Fuzzy. I wont take my trailer back there. Because I would probably get car paint all over my trailer and have a bunch of angry sportsmen wanting to whip my arse.

Comment

Sportsmans Rd

My uncle and I went to Sportsmans Rd. yesterday for an evening wade, the was was a bit off color and the wind was blowing pretty good.

We picked up a few undersized trout and 2 keepers, around 16-17. Fish were caught deep over mud and shell on Red/White Hogie Shrimp Tails and Red/Firetail Hogie Shrimp Tails.

There seemed to be plenty of bait in the water. Not too many fish, but still nice to get wet.

Comment

Great first post-informative, gave water conditions, wind, bait and type of lure. great post. Keep it up.
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Did yall try the hole off the Northend of the shell island there, Usually a good spot for a flatty or two!

Thanks for the report.
                            Don't be a Nancy!
                            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Did yall try the hole off the Northend of the shell island there, Usually a good spot for a flatty or two!
                              Shhh...

Comment

Working...
                              X