No Luck at Titlum Tatlum Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Luck at Titlum Tatlum Yesterday

I took the kayak out to Titlum Tatlum yesterday morning around sunrise, paddled across the pass and worked the main channel of Titlum Tatlum. I didn't catch a single fish. This is the second time I've fished that area and got skunked. I threw a bone topwater, gold spoon, TTF Flats Minnow and Hackberry Hustlers both in Pumpkinseed seed Chartreuse. I worked the majority on the shoreline on the right hand side, spending a little extra time around a couple of the drainage areas.

What am I doing wrong here? Since I bought my kayaks in June I've had no luck at catching fish from the yak. For the record, I've caught several fish from boats on the middle coast.

Probably you should get some friends and hire a guide once. It really flattens the learning curve.
    Now to what's wrong, in no particular order.
    We had a SW wind most of the weekend. That usually makes to water off color and fishing suffers.
    The tides may have been weak early because it was high tide. Maybe later the tide probably hooked 'em out.
    10/30/2011 Sun 01:44AM LDT 1.5 L 04:17AM LDT 1.5 H 01:15PM LDT -0.1 L 10:01PM LDT 1.6 H
    Then there's presentation. It's not always the arrow, but the indian that makes the difference. I can't believe if you worked the shoreline that you didn't catch a flounder.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Kenny,

I was surprised I didn't catch any flatties too. I tried a variety of retrieves with the lures mentioned above and still nothing. I tried casting to the grass and reeling back in, casting out in the center and reeling back towards the grass, and I even got out a few times and waded the shallow areas casting parallel to the grass. I thought for sure I'd catch atleast 1 or 2. Fighting with the wind got a little old yesterday too but wasn't too bad.
      You're probably right on hiring a guide, I just don't have the funds to do so right now. I don't mind grinding it out till I learn the right spots.

Comment

Try fishing along the shoreline to the left when facing the mouth of cold pass.. I have had some luck there. Or the south shoreline next to the pier in cold pass.

Comment

Find bait and fish there. Don't fish "spots". Now if no bait is showing then obviously try points & drains.
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
            Find bait and fish there. Don't fish "spots". Now if no bait is showing then obviously try points & drains.
            Good advice, also moving tides.

Comment

VJER and his brother Tony caught all the fish in Titlum this past weekend. Gotta use mullet and cocahoes when the water's muddy.

Did you see a 17 foot Carolina Skiff going back and forth a couple of times? Dat was me runnin' the ferry.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

My friend, dont spend your money on no FNNN guide. Learn on your own! Good days and bad days will happen. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by slyell View Post
                  Try fishing along the shoreline to the left when facing the mouth of cold pass.. I have had some luck there. Or the south shoreline next to the pier in cold pass.
                  I've seen people fishing down there behind those condos. I went down there once to fish but I only had like 10 minutes of daylight. I was told by another guy that pier on the south side of Cold pass can have fish sometimes too. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Comment

Coachlaw, I might have seen ya. There was a decent amount of boats cruising through there. I was in a Wheat colored Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Comment

Go past Coachlaw's cabin and enter the first drain to the right it opens up into a lake in the back.On an outgoing tide fish the mouth of the drain.

Comment

Longhornbubba, which one is coachlaw's cabin? I think I know which drain you're talking about. I went back up in there one time. If it's the same spot I threw all kinds of lures at the mouth of it.

Comment

Stay out of my spot there ain't no fish!lol
                          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Last one on the right after the curve.Actually it's the only one on the right.

Comment

Working...
                            X