Sunday! Inagural Voyage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday! Inagural Voyage!

I met Oleander kayaker at Pirates ramp at 7 this morning. He suggested that we start when it was daylight since it was my first trip in the new yak. It took me a while to gather my wits since I'm normally a wader, but with Mark's help I pulled it together. We headed into lake Como and cast into some birds to no avail. Eventually we made it into Dana cove and the water was 62 degrees and gin clear. The wind wasn't bad, the skies were clear and it was a great day to be on the water. I didn't get so much as a nibble. Eventually we made the turn into Oak Bayou and worked our way in. There were already 2 yakkers in there so we held back while they fished. Once they got bored and took off we went in and headed towards one of my favorite wading areas. I wasn't getting anything but mud on the bottom when I realized that the mud had some life. A nice 17" flounder with my name on it (Look out, Reeltime!). Picked it up on a ripple shad bounced on the bottom.
    After that, Oleander caught one of similar size himself. Once he landed it he was trying to get it into his fishbag and lost it. Darn! We cast about the same area for a while and eventually made our way back to the ramp at 2:30 with nothing else to show. It was a fun trip, regardless. My new (used) yak is better than I could have imagined. Oleander Kayaker has the documentary photos as my camera battery was DOA.

I do believe I'll need a name for the curmudgeon juggernaut. Your suggestions would be heartily welcomed!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

yakmudgeon!Wtg Bruce on catchin!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

My recollection of the above events is in agreement with the Man.

I've just posted the pic in a short report in the West Bay forum.
      What the heck, here it is again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	curmudgeon flounder.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	555807

Looking forward to gettin back out there to retrieve my lost flounder.
      Oh, and before he went fugitive, I caught the flounder with a pink/chart plastic
      Last edited by Oleander Kayaker; October 30, 2011, 08:22 PM.
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Sweet, got some slime on it on the first trip, not bad!

I like GISP a lot, we should hit it up sometime.

Comment

Congrats on the new ride and getting some slime on it.

Comment

Thanks guys! It's the first time I've been out in a long time. The yak performed well with only a few minor malfunctions. I realized that I really need to work on my flexibility! OK & I were out for about 7 hours and we'd probably stayed longer if my seat hadn't broken.
            I've waded GISP a bunch, but this was my first to really yak it. I've got tons of new stuff to explore! Woo hoo!

Chris, Yakmudgeon might just stick! LOL!

Comment

Cur has natural paddling skills and the Yakmudgeon outpaced me several times.

BTW, I use pigskin gloves to reduce blistering my left hand, when rotating the offset paddle (the wind resistance thing) with my right.
              They retain their plyability after getting wet.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                BTW, I use pigskin gloves to reduce blistering my left hand, when rotating the offset paddle (the wind resistance thing) with my right.
                They retain their plyability after getting wet.
                Look quite stylin' too!

Comment

Working...
                X