A few questions about Kayaks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about Kayaks...

As I am just getting involved in Kayak fishing, I have some questions...

1) Does anyone make a floating dock that will work for two Hobie Pro Anglers?

2) Is it safe/possible to tow a kayak behind a boat? For instance, I would tow the yak 5 miles behind the boat to some back-bays and then fish the yak.

3) If question 2 is possible, could I safely tow 2 kayaks behind the boat? If so, would I do it single file, or side-by-side with bumpers tied between them?

4) Is the DSI feature by Lowrance really worth it, or are the traditional fishfinders enough?

I'm not positive about any of these questions, but I think most people put their yaks on the boat instead of towing. Without a person sitting on the yak they'd have a tendency to roll during towing. Just strap the yak to the deck and drop it off the side when you get where you need to go.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Each kayak is 14ft long and weighs 140lbs empty, so that is not really an option.

Comment

Originally posted by micklitz View Post
        1) Does anyone make a floating dock that will work for two Hobie Pro Anglers?
        Not 100% sure what you mean, do you mean a lift like is used for jet skis?

2) Is it safe/possible to tow a kayak behind a boat? For instance, I would tow the yak 5 miles behind the boat to some back-bays and then fish the yak.
        Yes it is, you just have to go slow. I have pulled my 14' Native Ultimate behind a jon boat for just that purpose. If you have a propelled boat (which I think you do by the pictures), you'll have trouble with the depth in the back lakes like Greens. You'll be dragging shell and mud with your egg beater deal.

3) If question 2 is possible, could I safely tow 2 kayaks behind the boat? If so, would I do it single file, or side-by-side with bumpers tied between them?
        I have never done it but I have seen it done. I usually see them single file. Towing them together would cause them to bang together, tangle the tow lines, etc. You can't go very fast towing so 5 miles will be a long ride. If you have a propelled boat, you could probably peddle there in just as much time.

4) Is the DSI feature by Lowrance really worth it, or are the traditional fishfinders enough?
        If you are rigging this for your kayak, it's hard to imagine that it's worth it. The DSI feature work best (in my opinion) for identifying structure. You will either be in limited water depth where the DSI won't accurately read or on top of structure sufficient that a simple depth reading will identify reefs, etc. That said, it looks cook and it's shiny so you better buy it.

I don't use a depth finder on my kayak, too complicated. I carry a handheld GPS just in case I get turned around in the marsh.
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

jerk you must eat your multi-grain in the morning.....you need to show me how to multi-quote.

To the OP i wouldn't tow them put them in a boat big enuff to hold them to get you to the spot.
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Reel, are you taking on your Avatars Persona?
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

I wouldn't tow it. The PA is heavy but I still wouldn't tow it. As far as being able to get into shallow water... don't do full strides of the pedal and you can get into 6 inches of water easy. any shallower than that lock the drive up with the attached cord that will put the fins up against the hull and pull the cord to pull the rudder up and stand up and pole. The "egg beater" things won't give you any handicap in shallow water.
              Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

The PWC floating rotomolded docks work great for kayaks !

Reeltime you're going to get a timeout if you keep up the name calling ! LOL
                "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have nothing to add, but it is cool being in the towed yak. Water gets sucked up through the scuppers and shoots a foot up into the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                    I have nothing to add, but it is cool being in the towed yak. Water gets sucked up through the scuppers and shoots a foot up into the air.
                    LMAO! Sounds fun!
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Boat Tow?

If you are going to yak you better get a good paddle. Good luck on the boat tow. Watch the weather forecast for those 20 plus winds. Lots of fun out in West Bay. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Game 57 View Post
                        If you are going to yak you better get a good paddle. Good luck on the boat tow. Watch the weather forecast for those 20 plus winds. Lots of fun out in West Bay. Good Luck!
                        X2 on the paddle. A good carbon paddle will make you feel like you never were in the kayak at the end of the day.
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                        X