Kayak Vs. Jon Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Vs. Jon Boat

So I am looking into getting my first watercraft and I need some help deciding which to get. If some of you novices could help me assess the pro's and cons that would be great.

On a side note I was wondering would a 2 man kayak be worth it? and how hard is it to fish with 2 people on 1 kayak?

Fratfishing
    "Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish,
    and feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishings not that hard."
    -Ron Swanson-

SOT kayaks require a lote less room & maintenance than jon boats, but a jon boat will get you there faster and probably cover more ground. They both have their benefits. Best bet would be to try out a kayak and a jon boat to see which you prefer.
    As far as the tandem yak, I've never done it. I think it wuld be difficult to fish two people unless one got out to wade. I can just imagine a misplaced treble!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I agree w/ Mudge on his points. A tandem is not good for two to fish from. Better two kayaks.

On a tandem the paddling is alot easier. You sit on the back seat and have the kid up front stroke, while you pretend to paddle from the back.

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
      As far as the tandem yak, I've never done it. I think it wuld be difficult to fish two people unless one got out to wade. I can just imagine a misplaced treble!
      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Two words...Jet Ski!! I had a yak, then got a boat, not have the ski. I love it.

Comment

This is how I see it. I use Cameron's (fathernson) John Boat to explore areas to fish from a kayak. To be honest, while there are some areas only accessible by boat, much of the areas I fish are close in. This way, I can thoroughly fish an area, learn it and explore it before moving on. For these reasons, I prefer a kayak.

As for a tandem, it is possible for two people to fish from one. For the most part, we sit side saddle and cast perpendicular from the kayak instead of out in front.
          Resident Ninja

Comment

Jon Boat.....because I have a 14' Alumacraft on a trailer to sell

Comment

Re: Kayak Vs. Jon Boat

I've got a 12 ft john boat with an eight horse power on it, bought it for the lakes then took it out on the water when my kenner was down and love it! I plan to follow my dad ariund in his yak and watch him paddle around while i enjoy a cold beverage from gas powered oversized aluminium kayak lol

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2
              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
                I've got a 12 ft john boat with an eight horse power on it, bought it for the lakes then took it out on the water when my kenner was down and love it! I plan to follow my dad ariund in his yak and watch him paddle around while i enjoy a cold beverage from gas powered oversized aluminium kayak lol

yeah buddy. my 12'er fits in the bed of the truck and I can launch almost anywhere a kayak can and get there faster without wearing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                  yeah buddy. my 12'er fits in the bed of the truck and I can launch almost anywhere a kayak can and get there faster without wearing out.
                  No fat chicks.
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                    No fat chicks.
                    True dat

I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                      No fat chicks.

wurd

Comment

Jon boat. More maintenance but no struggle paddling back in da wind.
                        Karma's a beach.

Comment

Thanks for all the great points and tips glad I stumbled upon this site and found a good community Looks like i'll keep saving for that Jon Boat
                          "Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish,
                          and feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishings not that hard."
                          -Ron Swanson-

Comment

yepppp ole john boat. versatile.
                            "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

i have both, but i really like the 14ft Jon boat. I am a gadget guy and can keep more stuff in the boat, like to have all the comfronts of "home." Me and my father in law fish out of it with ease. I have good seats with backs, lots of room for tackel boxes, ice chest, and bait well. It had a 2.6 hp that was fine but have up graded to a 5hp in hopes to get around faster. Have a trasom mount trolling motor that will run in very shallow water to get around. Was at San Luis Pass last Febuary and the locals were very impressed with the boat told me that it was better than a center console could go more places, very true. Looking forward to going back to the salt water soon, really enjoy all ya'lls fishing photos!

Comment

Working...
                              X