All Nighter and PB Trout- 05/01/13 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Nighter and PB Trout- 05/01/13 Report

Been itching to get out there before finals so decided to a late night trip despite having an 8 AM the next day. Totally worth it. Got to our set of lights at around 11. Cameron, now part of Team Nucanoe, was trying out his new setup. Pretty much zipping around like a madman with his Nucanoe and trolling motor. Trout were skittish, but the reds were plentiful. Cameron limited out quickly on reds while I was having a hard time getting hits, despite all the trout and reds in the lights. I switched from the tails of a Glo TTF Hackberry over to a TKII Jr, and that was what they wanted for me. Quickly got 3 or 4 trout with a bunch of undersized ones that didn't make the cut. I was putting one trout into the cooler when I heard a what sounded like a large rock fall into the water. I turn around and see a light with bubbles from something hitting the surface. I go over to investigate.

The light was seemingly empty, but I just sat there hoping that whatever made the noise would surface. Then...there she was. This monster fish came up and chased a small shrimp around the light. I pitched my TKII Jr towards the outside and burned the bait right in front of the trout. The trout literally made a 180 and inhaled the bait...set hook, fish ON! She immediately peeled off drag and went for a piling. I quickly had to reposition myself and get her out. She then darted the other way spinning my kayak around. After multiple runs, which sounded like they would awaken the people in their homes, I managed to get her along side the kayak. She still wasn't done yet!

Unfortunately, in my haste to get out there, I left my net at home as well as my Boga. I called Cameron to bring his net, but he was AWOL. No landing tools, so I had to grab the fish and haul her in. I positioned the my hand to grab the head right behind the gills. First attempt, she darted off and my hand got in the way of the line and I could almost feel that hook start working its way free. After profanities and words I never knew I knew were used, I tried again. I bring her around for a second attempt, she darts under the kayak. Visions of an empty hook flash through my mind. Third attempt, I grab her head and she darts forward...but I latch onto her tail! I find purchase and haul her up! She is caught!

Cameron decides to show up at this point and admire the fish. We quickly took a few pictures and let her go. She was 28.5 and 8.5 pounds. I pretty much didn't catch anything the rest of the time we were out there, but I didn't care. Got back by 5 or so, in time for a quick nap before class.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130501_004555.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	574112Click image for larger version

Name:	20130501_005437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	574113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	574114
    Resident Ninja

nice report. congrats on the big one.

Comment

All Nighter and PB Trout- 05/01/13 Report

Awesome report and congrats on the PB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dan nice report, i wanna go next time !
        FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

WTG J and Cameron! Congrats on the PB.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good Job Bro

Comment

Way to go Jhua! BEautiful PB! Major congratulations!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

awesome man!
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

If you consider fighting a 7 pound trout AWOL then I guess I was! Fun trip
                  Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Nice report and good catching. Congrats on the PB trout. She's a beauty
                    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Very nice and congrats on your PB.
                      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                        X