New Yak input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yak input

Ok so I don't wanna break the bank, and I won't as this is my first time using a kayak and only been salt water fishing for a month, but I'm very interested in getting a kayak.
    First question, is Pelican a decent brand?
    what are some of the pros and cons of buying a cheaper rig other than pricing?
    i plan on renting one this weekend to see the overall experience but would like yalls input.
    also, on ANY kayak, can you stand up and fish or do you have to e seated to avoid tipping over?

Can't say much about Pelicans. Never had one, know some who do and have heard good and bad. Pro of some of the cheaper yaks is that they're lighter and more portable. Cons are that they might not be as comfortable, durable or that you might not be able to add as much to it. Still, now they make good kayaks that you can do a lot with for a cheap price. I'd personally recommend Ocean Kayak over Pelican for that price range. Personally, we got Wilderness System yaks since we use them a TON.

Renting some and trying them out is a good idea.

Some kayaks don't allow standing and fishing as well as others. Depends on their length and width. Also on if there's room and how stable they are.
    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Learned something already. I didn't realize that kayaks came in different widths. Is there a standard width or should I focus on something in particular? I would def like to be able to find one that you can stand up on.

Comment

Shorter the wider, more stability.
        Longer the more narrow, faster and glides
        better, less stable.
        NO PELICAN.
        Ocean Kayak or a Wilderness.

Comment

If you want to stand, go with a ride from wilderness, or the commander 140.
          I paddle a commander and its great.also owned a ride at one time it was ok
          but the new rides are far better than the older models. I suggest you rent them
          and see what you like best. Try before you buy.

Comment

Don't buy a Pelican and don't waste your money on a cheap kayak. You'll regret it.
            I'd recommend you don't rush into it. There's a lot to learn and the more time you take the better. That being said, check out TKF for used kayaks. You can pick up a good used one for close to half the price of a new one and it may also be well rigged. Of course it may also be poorly rigged.
            Look for a yak with a good comfortable seat with a high back and a rudder.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

"Friends don't let friends paddle Pelicans" - If you can save 700-800 bucks you can get a nice used yak like Curmudgeon said. Usually rigged and some extras thrown in. If your on a budget and want a new one the 12' Perception at Academy in fine imo.

Comment

No Pelican. I had one. Malibu X-Factor or Stealth are very nice.

Comment

if you want one new the perception pescador 12 at academy is 499 (i have added about 100$ of accessories so far just to get out there). just got it and i have enjoyed the crap out of it..I wouldn't go any less quality than that...TKF has some good used ones
                  "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

I've stepped up over the years to newer and better yaks. I'm currently in a Cobra Fish & Dive which is a great yak. It is not a fast boat but it is stable and can really take some heavy water. I also have a couple of Mainstream Kingfishers that my wife and kids use that are great boats for the money. I"ve looked at the Pescador 12 at Academy and it looks like a great starter boat for the money.
                    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Working...
                    X