Daughter's first Yak fishing trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter's first Yak fishing trip

Taking my daughter out for her first ever Yak fishing trip in the morning. She is 29, so maybe not what you were thinking....LOL She has just recently got back into fishing and wants to try going in a yak. So, now I'm trying to decide where to take her, Skeeter Island, Highlands Bayou or the Marsh between Highlands and Jones. As it is her first trip, not sure how much paddling she will be up for, so I'm kind of leaning towards Skeeter but I'm worried about the wind in the morning. Anyone got any other options, I'm all ears.......Thanks
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

She will be hooked. Good luck.
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

If you put in at Louis' and paddle Highland Bayou, I would recommend paddling under the Bayou Vista bridge and into the Pierce Marsh. You can paddle to the second entrance south of the bridge and work your way through the marsh back out the first entrance. It makes for a bit of a paddle but you'll surely catch some reds in there.

If you want a shorter paddle, you can launch at the site of the old Ernie’s bait camp west of San Luis Pass and paddle into the flat east of Ernie’s and into Cold Pass and the drains/marshes around it. Easy place to launch and you don’t have to paddle far to fish.

Another easy in/out/fishing spot is to launch at the end of Sportsman’s Road and fish the marsh to the west and out toward Confederate Reef.

Good luck.
      JYC
      Last edited by Jerkyourcroaker; June 8, 2013, 08:07 PM. Reason: trying to get rid of that little smiley thing
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, we are going to Pierce Marsh but put in on the canal next to 45 as it is not as much of a paddle for her first time. Would love for her to get hooked up with a good red, but flounder are our main target.
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

My daughter had a blast even though there weren't a lot of fish. She did hookup with a pretty good red and I think that did it even though he got off. I picked up a couple flounder, but nothing to brag about. Still it was a great day with my daughter.

Comment

Yep ,shes hooked now.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
            X