Fist Fish On A Yak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fist Fish On A Yak!

I fished Seawolf Park this morning, and it was my first time to catch a fish from a yak! It was only a 16" flounder, but I felt like a little kid catching his first fish ever!

The bite was very slow, as expected with very little tidal movement. But I got out there anyway to battle the wind and grind out a lunchbox fish. The kayak is a 10' Pelican sit inside... hardly ideal for fishing the salt. But someone gave it to me for free, so a free yak beats no yak any day of the week!

Most people I saw were able to catch a keep or two, but I did not see anyone catch anything bigger than about 18-19". The big females just aren't in the channels yet. The Galveston Ship Channel side of seawolf was more protected from the wind, and as a result was PACKED. Thats why I decided to learn the ropes of kayak fishing on the other side, between Seawolf and the Selma. It was a fun day to be out there, and another cold front or two should really get these flat fish moving!

Click image for larger version

Name:	flounderyak1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	574865

Well, it aint a wall-hanger, but you won't catch me complaining about a delicious slab of flounder!

There ya go!
    You're absolutely right: fishing com a SINK isn't easy, but it is a boat! Congrats !

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Congrats
      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Nice going!!! Great memory for sure!! Slab for dinner!!!
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Congrats on the first yak fish

I know there will be many, many more.

Comment

way to go.....

Comment

I saw you out there moving around and fishing. The bite was good just after sunrise, then it slowed down.

Glad you landed a keeper.

Comment

You gotta start at the beginning . WTG ...cool , first fish / flounder, yakking !
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Congrats on the fish. Anything over 14 inches is a keeper. 16 inch is a good flounder. I definitely throw it on the pan. Bigger is better, but anything over limit is still good. Lord Bless.
                  robert
                  And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Nice work. Dolphin teeth marks?

Comment

Root Canal- Yeah, i was getting several bites right at the beginning. But I was finding it difficult to set the hook and keep my balance in that little floating plastic stick... took me a while to learn. And about the time I did, the wind shifted again and kept blowing me straight into the wade fishermen, instead of parallel to the shore like it was doing early. But I did my best to stay out of everyones way, and no one seemed too upset. When that wind picked up, I did more paddling than fishing. Will be anchoring up next time!

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                      I saw you out there moving around and fishing. The bite was good just after sunrise, then it slowed down.

Glad you landed a keeper.

Comment

Milkjug- I'm glad you mentioned that, because that is EXACTLY what I was thinking they were, but sort of talked myself out of it. I had dolphin around me at times that morning, which is pretty typical for that area. After I got the flounder to the boat, I missed with my first stab at netting him. He swam under my yak, and as I was getting a better grip on my net, all of a sudden my rod absolutely doubled over and almost got ripped out of my hand. My immediate thought was that a shark had grabbed it. But I pulled up on the rod and the fish came right back up to the net.

Couldn't have been a shark, maybe a dolphin I thought. Then I convinced myself that the fish must have surprised me taking off away from the net and I wasn't holding my rod very tight or something, that if it was a dolphin I would have lost either the fish or my rod for sure... or at least I would have seen the dolphin, because the fish was just right under my yak. But in retrospect, there is no way that flounder could have doubled over my rod like that suddenly... I guess the dolphin just slipped right under my yak and didn't get a good hold of the fish. It was a pretty cool experience either way!

I wonder if those dolphins have learned to just hang out under boats and steal tired fish from fishermen... like all those hammerhead sharks that steal tarpon in Florida.

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Nice work. Dolphin teeth marks?

Comment

Makes sense to me caught one the other day with the same marks.

Comment

Where did you launch?

Comment

Working...
                            X