More Shell!- 03/30/14 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Shell!- 03/30/14 Report

Went out early this morning. Launched the yak and got the the reef I've been fishing to find very little activity. Usually by now, the fish would be chasing bait around but not today. Started with a corky in tequila sunrise. In the wee hours of sunrise, I had, to my surprise, a lot of hits but very few hook ups. Fish weren't commiting to the corky. Finally after an hour of plugging away, I got my first good thump and fish. It was a little more steady afterwards after I concentrated on a certain section of the reef. Throughout the morning I kept getting these short strikes so I finally switched over to the skinny water assault rat tail that Jeffrey Acosta (J Acosta) let me try. Here's my take on it.

It sinks heck of a lot slower than the corky. In fact, once the wind picked up, it was pretty difficult to work the bait. But in the calm morning I had with the fish being lethargic and not really chasing bait, it was perfect. My bite to hook up ratio for the corky today was 7 to 1 which is pretty bad. For the skinny water assault rat tail, it was 3 of 3. I should have started with this bait first and then transition to the corky but oh well. Live and learn. The bait has that large corky - ish profile which I like. One improvement I will experiment with is by adding an internal rattle. The fish weren't moving today and the rattle would have done wonders in getting a sluggish fish attention.

Anyways. Tough day for me. Fish have been coming out really early then shutting off quickly after sunrise. I'm about to leave the reefs and stsrt looking for sows in the grass.

Tried to get that limit since I got a family reunion coming up and the freezer is empty. Tally for the day is 6 trout between 2 and 5 lbs. 5 lber came on the skinny water assault bait, but the fish's gills were damaged so I ended up keeping it. Hope everyone had had a good day!
    Attached Files
    Resident Ninja

Nice fish and report!

Comment

Way to whack 'em. I saw the same thing on Friday. Before sunup there was a lot of fish, bait and bird activity. It was off like a light switch after about 8a.

Congrats on the fine string.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Very nice.
        Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Real good job. Did a lot better than me. But I was lethargic myself most of the day. If you don't mind me asking, what color corky where you throwing? I threw my electric chicken broke back corky and my bubblegum broke back and couldn't illicit a strike. Tossed a natural corky fatboy and only had one thump but didn't hook up. Used gulps chartreuse rigged heavy for my few fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice going J.
            I'm not familiar with the (skinny water assault rat tail).
            Sinks slower than a Corky.... That's pretty cool.

Comment

good report!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by westbaytroutassasin View Post
                Real good job. Did a lot better than me. But I was lethargic myself most of the day. If you don't mind me asking, what color corky where you throwing? I threw my electric chicken broke back corky and my bubblegum broke back and couldn't illicit a strike. Tossed a natural corky fatboy and only had one thump but didn't hook up. Used gulps chartreuse rigged heavy for my few fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                I was throwing the tequila sunrise corky. its n orange chartreuse color.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Working...
                X