Off of Offatts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off of Offatts

Since moving to Galveston last October, I have only a barely legal flounder to show for all of my many efforts around Offatts. Nothing else, even hardheads. Not one other a bite. Skunked time after time! Wading or yaking; it doesn't matter. Moody's point or the airport or off Sportsman; it doesn't matter. Corkies or Gulp or popping corks or spec rigs; it doesn't matter. Even live shrimp or piggy perch; it still doesn't matter.

Naturally this lack of success is driving me crazy. Well, crazier: I've long said the definition of crazy is to keep going the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

It's really getting me down. I only go out now for the exercise, not expecting any excitement. I used to get so excited about catching little schoolies on Virginia lakes, that I couldn't sleep the night before. Now? I've got to set an alarm, then talk myself into getting up. Yet I still start fresh each time, attacking as if the fish WILL bite this time.

But it's as if I'm cursed. My old car, upon which I lash my kayak, has a dead-battery problem. Oh, it cranks okay -- until I want to go fishing. The last time that happened I hefted the yak atop little my Honda Fit, something I promised my wife Ellen I wouldn't do.
    I use two foam rubber 4by4 "logs" fore and aft with tie-downs, and didn't like how it made the roof sag, but it worked to get to Sportsman. I did put a tarp in the back to keep wet gear from contaminating the interior, but -- as she says -- stink is stink. So I'm going to trade in our battery-challenged old car for a pickup, when there's money that is.

Anyway, my apartment complex, Parc at Marina Landing on the water next to Moody's, disgustingly is completely fencing off the waterfront. The ability to launch my kayak just a few feet from my door is why I chose this place. This angers me, but it really only shuts off the point that sticks out from the Colonel. So now we need to move!

My only solace to this losing streak is the fact that nobody else, as best I could tell, was catching anything out of Offatts. At least when I'm there. As I try to make sense of all of this, I look for clues. Two weeks ago, there allegedly was a lack of live shrimp in all the bait shops on 61st Street. I was told it was because there hadn't been enough rain and the water was too salty for the shrimp. Perhaps that kept the Reds and Specs where the shrimp are. Is that true about the lack of shrimp? Any thoughts on salinity?

But my point in writing all of this is that, while giving up on Offatts for now, where should my little "clown car" transport my kayak for a chance at streak-breaking success?

You know, ever since fighting Reds at Corpus a couple decades ago, I've longed to hook into something that makes my reel sing, something that will put up a fight. Only the biggest of bass ever do that. The one lone flounder I caught sure didn't. I would greatly appreciate some advice to end this run of bad luck. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I did get our other kayak back -- the lone bright spot in all of this. Several years ago for Fathers' Day my wife got me a K-Mart $200 "Blue Light Special" 8-foot Calypso, which I customized with a hatch (for a battery) and a sonar unit. My gear and I were too heavy for it, defeating the scuppers, and "Bluey" was unstable in wind. So I got a 12-footer and gave her Bluey. But it was stolen our first night in Galveston when we were unable to fit it into our box-filled apartment. The other day, though, while driving around I saw a blue Calypso -- with a hatch -- on an apartment balcony. Looking closer, I spotted the holes where I'd put the fishfinder, so I called Police and got it back.
    Last edited by revrusty; May 14, 2014, 12:22 PM.

So, Did the Jackwagon thief go to jail?
    Beandaddy

Comment

Beachfront.... on good days that is.

Comment

Drive down to SLP. Wade out. Throw spooks and assassins. Catch fish. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

I haven't fished Offatt's in a couple of years but I used to catch a few reds and flounder at the airport landing lights trestle. Take Stewart Rd. west to 99th street turn right go to the end turn right on Airway Ln. go to the end and launch your yak and fish the pilings of the trestle. Live bait (cast net will produce your own bait) or curly tail plastics close to the pilings on a moving tide.

Comment

Originally posted by Beandaddy View Post
            So, Did the Jackwagon thief go to jail?
            Beandaddy
            Yep! And he and the others in that apartment were booted.

Comment

Originally posted by 52M-28 View Post
              I haven't fished Offatt's in a couple of years but I used to catch a few reds and flounder at the airport landing lights trestle. Take Stewart Rd. west to 99th street turn right go to the end turn right on Airway Ln. go to the end and launch your yak and fish the pilings of the trestle. Live bait (cast net will produce your own bait) or curly tail plastics close to the pilings on a moving tide.
              That's one of the places without Evan a bite. Explored it well, noticing things from Google Earth.

Comment

I completely feel your pain, I just moved to Texas last summer after moving away from Louisiana for 2 years to go to grad school in Virginia. After fishing the marshes of SE Louisiana where it seems like you have to try not to catch a redfish, then in SW Virgina where all you needed was a floating gold Rapala to catch smallies year round I came down here thinking I would be back to my old ways. Well to say the least the learning curve is mighty steep down here, plus living in College Station, TX I have to drive anywhere from 2.5-3 hours each way. Im still learning the area, but even though its convenient get out do some exploring away from Offats. I try a new place almost every time I go especially with the wind ( always the %$%^ wind), while it might not be the best idea according to those of the school of thought that you should grind out an area till you can catch fish there. And Im sure some have probably told you this before but check out going with a guide. Anyways just my 2 cents, keep at it, and if you ever see a orange jackson cuda 12 on a old black 4runner stop on by
                Cheers
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHookinPro View Post
                  Ieven though its convenient get out do some exploring away from Offats. I try a new place almost every time I go especially with the wind ( always the %$%^ wind), while it might not be the best idea according to those of the school of thought that you should grind out an area till you can catch fish there. And Im sure some have probably told you this before but check out going with a guide. Anyways just my 2 cents, keep at it, and if you ever see a orange jackson cuda 12 on a old black 4runner stop on by
                  Cheers
                  Andy
                  I'm going to do like suggested here and go farther down the island, or maybe try the east end or beaches. I don't know anything over the bridge, but I think we're going to move to the other side. Once I'm fenced off from the water here, it doesn't matter where we live, so long as it isn't far like you. Shoot, I may move Ellen to Dallas, where we used to live, for better doctoring.

I must admit not mentioning that I only go from first light to 9:30 a.m., regardless of the tide, in order to be back to my semi-invalid wife by 10. I wade when the wind's up, and yak when it's in single digits. I've seen reports that say finishing wasn't good in the morning but picked up later, especially in the evening. I'm missing out of that. But if my wife keeps improving, maybe I can get out for an afternoon or evening. Maybe even a night? Anyway, thanks to you and everyone else for answering. I appreciate it. I was hoping others would say they too hadn't caught anything lately in Offatts, but the forum is named West End.

Comment

Your luck will change ... Try the surf when green or behind the toll booth at the pass as mentioned .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                    X