Where best for Jones Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where best for Jones Lake?

After getting skunked on the Galvesron side of the bridge a warden suggested Jones Lake by Tiki Island and Fat Boy's. Tried the 3 little islands and at least broke my streak by landing a rat Red. Well, more of a mouse Red. Did get another flounder slowly bouncing a Spec rig.

So after coming up empty twice after that, I gotta ask where else should I try in Jones Lake? Again, I cannot leave my invalid wife long, so I launch at 6 a.m. and stop around 9 to be home with gear stowed by 10. Of course on windy days I stay near islands. But wind shouldn't be a factor Wednesday, so anybody know where else to go in the bay -- especially for a keeper Red?

Or where else should I go, keeping drive time from the Offatts area in mind? BTW, I've given up on Olffats locations -- unless some thing's now hot.

Offats is great in the winter but I haven't ventured over there much in the summer. As far as Jones - I tend to work the north shoreline from the mouth of the Diversionary east. I've also done well drifting mid bay shell fishing soft plastics. Again though - I prefer it in the winter more than the summer. I'd concentrate on south shoreline coves like Jumbile and Dana. Great spots this time of the year and an easy drive from where you are.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

If the tide allows, try the areas by the two railroad track bridges west of Fatboys. That flats area and those marsh islands hold plenty of reds on high tide (keepers are scarce but there are tons of small reds in there). Skinny water boat is required.
      Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
      "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

north shoreline from the mouth of the Diversionary east. ... I'd concentrate on south shoreline coves like Jumbile and Dana.
        Ummm, not familiar with Diversionary. Are coves like Jumble and Dana in Jones?

Comment

No they're on the south shoreline of the bay. Dana can be accessed through the state park on the west end. Jumbile is in the back of Indian beach subdivision.

The diversionary canal runs from the Hitchcock Santa Fe area and dumps into west bay right by harborwalk. Probably a bit more of a paddle than you want for the limited time you have. You can also access and fish the diversionary off the harborwalk entrance road. The entrance to harborwalk is off hwy 6 between bayou vista and Hitchcock.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I surmise you can walk in only . I would get in at the " north " side of Fat Boys and wade the shore line going " north " throwing a Topwater . You will have to swing out at the railroad trestle . Toss along the grassline but out towards the bay too .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
              I surmise you can walk in only . I would get in at the " north " side of Fat Boys and wade the shore line going " north " throwing a Topwater . You will have to swing out at the railroad trestle . Toss along the grassline but out towards the bay too .
              Nah, I've got a nice 12- foot yak, but I can only go so far and get back around 9. Besides caring for my wife I've got a job as a patriot fundraiser.

Comment

Working...
              X