Finally, success, but so long Sportsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, success, but so long Sportsman

Finally got my long-sought Redfish! Caught it on a dropshot-rigged shrimp in the ambush area off the current between two islands off Sportsman. Was planning to waste some frozen shrimp off "bird island," but the wind in my face was too tiresome so I set up out of the whitecaps.

Day ended early, though, when a cop called everybody in with tickets for illegal parking. I parked up the road beyond the no parking signs; but the cop threatened me just the same. He said NO PARKING AT ALL ON SPORTSMAN, that we have to park now on 8 Mile Road and WALK! So long Sportsman. At least it was a good last outing I'll remember. Yakers and waders ruined it by jamming the circle despite all the signs. As everyone got out of the water the officer asked them if they could read. He hollered out at me, and I told him I parked out of range. Wrong, he said, there's now no parking at all.

Just curious. Did the last sign have arrows on it pointing both ways? <--->
    If it didn't, you could take pictures and might get the ticket dropped.

Seems like they would have to post a sign at the start with a sign ----->, or have them
    put up the entire length of Sportsman Road to legally shut all of it down.

There is a boat ramp toward the end also....before the bridge.
    Not a very good one. Ike washed the end out and I don't know if it ever was repaired.

Comment

Good for you with the red ! Didn't give up . More people Fishing , more abusives .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Congrats on that much needed Redfish!! Bet she was fun!!
        If you like that area, start at the house on the end and ask permission to park in their driveway. Surely someone along that stretch would not mind and they may even let you use their dock.
        Never hurts to ask.
        Far as the Galveston cops was it city cop or a Galveston County cop ?
        I have bad memories of the jail there so you did right, believe me you. If you do get throwed in DO NOT PASTE A PENUTBUTTER SANDWICH ON THE CEILING OF YOUR CELL. I hate PBJ sandwiches to this day.
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Don't think the signs are up. Officer let on that this is new. I didn't get a ticket because he was working from the circle out. When I said I'm too old to paddle from 8 Mile, the officer tried to sell me on a motorized yak for 4K. That did start me thinking about a side mounted trolling motor...

Comment

Hmm Sounds like homeowners have called and raised hell. All it takes is one road block by a boat trailer or not wanting to get a vehicle far enough off the road.
            But you made the catch so it was all worth the time and efforts.
            Glad you weren't ticketed or ended up in a cell.
            "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Congrats on that Redfish, despite the hassle!

Originally posted by revrusty View Post
              Finally got my long-sought Redfish!
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X