Trolling motor for a kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling motor for a kayak?

So I'm thinking about expanding my range (for an old geezer) and I'm wondering what are your thoughts about a trolling motor. I'd use a side mount anchored in rear scupper holes. But I've got to ask about if I then have to license my yak? And what to watch for about thrust, battery size, weight and life, and pole length? How much should I expect to pay? I don't mind a used one. (Anyone got one for sale?) I know it should be for saltwater. What else?

Ask on TEXAS KAYAK FISHERMAN website . I haven't been on it in years . I think I'm PLUGR there .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

When you put a trolling motor on a kayak, you will have to register the boat and put TX numbers on it. As plugger said, texaskayakfisherman.com is a good resource for how to do it. If you want to give it a go, I'm sure you can find a used troller on craigslist.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

You will have to register it. Launching and putting up will be much more of a pain in the azz. Your yak will now weigh ~70 more lbs. You will have a real risk of losing battery power far from the launch and having to paddle your now much heavier yak back from your "expanded range".

I kayak for simplicity and get a little exercise out of the deal too. If you want a small power boat, I would get a small jon or carolina skiff. You will go faster, further, with more reliability and can handle coppier water and take a buddy with you.

Comment

I passed on the idea. I'm a sucker for greener grass, thinking it's better farther away. I'll work through waters I canr each.

Comment

Working...
          X