New Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yak

Hey ya'll I couldn't make it to Galveston this weekend but was able to fish the last two hours yesterday here on Sabine. Probably was not my best decision, that it was 25 - 30 mph winds. I couldn't help but to go though. I ended up not catching a single fish but was nice to be in the yak again. Every time I go out on the water, my desire for a new kayak grows more. I have a simple set up with a pescador 12 foot. I would love a Jackson Cuda 14, or even a Cusa 12. So if yall see or hear anything about used Jackson's, please let me know! Hope yall had better luck than I did!

Thanks
    1 Corinthians 13

Thanks for the report.

You don't need the newest and greatest yak to catch fish. I have a buddy with that same yak and it is a very well-rounded boat, and won't break the bank. He hammers them on it in the bays and nearshore waters. However, if it makes you happy I say go for it. Still cheaper than a powerboat!

Comment

Milkjug, I agree with you. It isn't the kayak that makes us catch fish however, different kayaks give us more advantages. I have caught so many fish out of my pescador and I will even keep it when I get a new yak. I actually fish better out of my yak than a power boat. But I recently started a new job, so I am making more money and can afford to buy a used Jackson. Id love to be able to stand, and have that seat! During tournaments I need a break from sitting in my kayak for hours, so I have to stop fishing and beach somewhere. I hate doing that and having a better yak would allow me to stay on the water longer.
      1 Corinthians 13

Comment

I've launched my kayak on the south end of sabine and at deep bayou , but never at the north end which is better fishing this time of year i understand . I've seen a few kayak launch points on maps and the internet . Any advice or suggestions for kayak fishing sabine ?

I have a 14 foot perception .....i can't stand in it , but i can fish all day in it . Yeah , i get numb butt but having an adjustable air cushion seat helps a lot .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Well I like to do a lot of skinny fishing so standing would be very helpful but Texas Bayou is always pretty solid year round. This time of year you can catch trout, reds, and flounder there. Yes, the north end this time of year is typically better but many of the north end spots are not doable in a kayak. I mainly stick to Texas Bayou but depending on tides and wind I may hit Keith Lake or Old River Cove (North end of sabine lake). I have only gone twice this year and haven't done well but I go when I can and both times have been rough conditions.
          1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Thanks for the input . I'm not familiar with Texas bayou .... I'll look it up . I 've kayaked Keith Lake a long time ago . The north end cove sounds interesting .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Ive caught my two biggest reds out of the cove, idk if its a coincidence or it holds bigger fish.
              1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Check out TexasKayakFisherman.com. They always have pretty good rigs for sale.

Comment

I don't have a high end yak either and I love my yak. Caught plenty fish in it. The fish only see the bottom of it anyway. Shoot I think all the rigging I've done to mine cost more than the yak did. I have the ascend fs12t. The older model.
                  Attached Files
                  Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Originally posted by trophytroutman View Post
                    I don't have a high end yak either and I love my yak. Caught plenty fish in it. The fish only see the bottom of it anyway. Shoot I think all the rigging I've done to mine cost more than the yak did. I have the ascend fs12t. The older model.
                    I would just like something I can stand and sit higher in. You cant rig a yak to really be able to stand in. I went out yesterday and caught fish in mine with others but they had it made being able to stand and sit higher where I was getting knocked around pretty bad. I do like that set up though!
                    1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Working...
                    X