Kayak Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Safety

I just ordered a kayak and talked with the guys at ACK about safety. I have also been looking at the forums, including this one.

Two things I wonder about. First, being 5'10" 250 lb (and not being the nimblest person)and today turning 61, I want to learn the best ways to reenter my kayak if I capsize (is this "turtleing"?). I saw a video of two guys practicing reentry and will do the same. Any useful tricks or tools to help?

Also, I want to buy a VHF radio. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

smith04

There's no way I could get back in a kayak . Not drowning would be my goal . To say I'm not spry is an understatement . I wear an inflatable PFD . I've never turned my kayak over in 14 years . I don't like the lawn chair seats as they have a high center of gravity . I use an inflatable cushion . I can swing my legs over the side and fish . I've had a 16 foot , 14 foot Tarpons , sit on top . My last 2 have been 15 foot Perceptions sit on top . If you get sideways to a wave in the surf , you will flip over and loose your gear . Get a rudder and anchor pulley system .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Get a kayak you can handle alone ... as light as possible .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great info plugger, I've been thinking of getting one but I've had the same questions as Smith here. Just never get up enough enthusiasm to go get one and Lord knows I need the exercise. Reentry has been my biggest concern if you capsized in deeper water. I have a torn acl that seems to sideline me from ever getting one.
        "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Loose some weight/get in shape and don't worry. The good thing about west bay is you can sink your Bote or kayak and walk back to shore.

Comment

I picked up a guy drowning and freezing to death last December right next to GISP. He was too cold from the water to be able to climb back in. He was hypothermic and was 'bouncing' off the bottom trying to reach shore and was only about 100 yards from shore when I pulled him into my boat-he couldn't even grab my arms/wrists because his hands were frozen.

I can only say this: BE PREPARED AND USE YOUR HEAD. Get lights (I've almost run over an idiot in west bay at night), a flare pistol, a handheld waterproof vhf, layer clothes if water is 70 degrees or below. Watch the weather-you may get blown out to sea or to the far shoreline-ya can't paddle against a 30-40 mph wind. bring a waterproof flashlight to warn boaters and for emergencies and file a float plan saying what time you'll be back with your family/neighbor/friends.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

TEXAS KAYAK FISHERMAN is a good source site . Try to test paddle the kayaks that interest you . ACK and FTU have yearly demos , I think . Buy the lightest paddle you can afford . The lighter the paddle , the more expensive . You can buy a cheap wooden paddle and it will feel like it weighs 50 pounds after an hour .

Comment

Sorry to say this but if you can't reenter a kayak in deep water, you have no business being in one. I've been kayaking a long time and have fallen out twice. It's not a question of if it will happen but when. Once was in 2' of water, but the other time was offshore tied off to a rig.

Good info about lights at night given. Make sure your light is visible from all sides. A short light may be obscured by your body depending on the angle of the approaching boat. Also use your sense to stay out of common boating areas. Listen for motors, be conscious of what the wind is doing to sound (A boat approaching from downwind is much harder to hear)

I'm assuming you can swim so no need to touch on that.

Comment

Just saw you got an outback. Not gonna be the easiest yak to flip back over. They make a "stirrup" you can use to help flip it over, and to give your foot something to set in to help you get in if you don't have the small amount of upper body strength needed.

Comment

Always wear a PFD.

Comment

Like Robalo, 2 years ago in the fall, I also picked up a guy out in front of Dana Cove out past the large piling, who couldn't get back in his yak. There was a southerly wind blowing him out, the water was not real cold but he was feeling the effects of exposure and he was very exhausted. Even with a ladder step on my boat I had to help pull him into my boat. he said he had been in the water for a while. I believe that if this guy had not been wearing a PFD the story would not have ended well. As it was he lost most of his stuff including tackle, his net and rod/reel etc. I say practice the re-entry technique till you are very confident you can do it before you get into a situation where you need it.

Comment

I got my Outback today and immediately went home and put it in the pool to practice reentry. I could not get in it without a ladder. However, I followed a video someone put on here and rigged my paddle across the kayak connected a loop rope to one end, went under the kayak and wrapped on the other end of the paddle with the loop sticking down to use as a step. First try I got on relatively easy but then went over the other side. Second time worked like a charm. I did this a couple more times. Then I attached a paddle float to the end of the paddle on the ladder side (as per the video) and the additional ballast made it much easier. I practiced 4 more times, always starting from scratch i.e. getting the paddle float and line from my front storage, inflating the paddle float and rigging the ladder. Made it every time. It also helped that I ran the loop through the anchor ring which helped keep it more stable.

I'll practice a few more times tomorrow. The am going out on Monday. Even then I will be going off Sportsman Road or 8 mile road for the first time and stick to shallow water. I need to get experience first.

I will be posting asking if people are going out and if I can tag along. I need to see how others kayak and fish so I can get better.

Comment

Never been on a kayak, but I'm a firm believer from experience, look at the people that have done this. There is always someone that enjoys teaching people how to do better, and make it fun. Glad you're getting Great advice. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about, because of the experience. Praying GOD give you the Wisdom on this. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

did you make it fishing? did you stay in the kayak or flip?

Comment

Oh, I did make it fishing and have been going on average 2 days per week. I am loving it.

Comment

Working...
                              X