No announcement yet.

New to kayak fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep it simple. All I carry in a modified milk crate with a 360 degree light attached is an anchor, drift sock, small tackle box, dry box for phone-wallet-keys-camera, fish pliers, floating stringer, extra spool of line and small net.

Attached to the yak is an anchor trolley, cleat, handles, paddle holder, rod holder in addition to the pre-installed flush mount rod holders which i don't use case I keep them stored in pvc pipe attached to crate.

On another note...always keep a life jacket on or near by, I use fishing pole leashes I attach to the eyes of the yak since I lost one without it.

BTW i have a Pelican Castaway and an Ocean Kayak XT.
    2010 Eagle Nest Backlash challenge winner!!

Comment

Ditto

I use the flush mount rod holders for my anchor and net. Rod holders are mounted to a milk crate, away from the water.......
      Fishwhisperer

Comment

I got a 11.5 foot ocean yak scrambler and it does just fine for me..i got a trolly anchor that helps me in the wind so its all good. Its a good relaxation time when im on the water.

Comment

Tarpon 140 or 160, seat cushion ( don't use one and you'll find out why ), 3 prong anchor with a pulley to get it to the stern, the lightest paddle you can afford, a soft sided cooler for fish and another for food/drinks, I stay out all day. A fine fishing machine.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

EGADS... I forgot , a RUDDER.... I wouldn't be without one... you can drift a shoreline and stear with a rudder, great help turning, especially in a wind. My first yak was a 16 foot tarpon without a rudder... almost impossible to turn it in a good wind or strong current. Well worth the money.
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
            X