First time kayak fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time kayak fishing.

So here's the deal.A friend of mine is letting me borrow his Hobie mirage drive Hank Parker Outback.I plan on going to Galveston Saturday morning to try it out.First I'm thinking about going to the GYB to launch and get a feel for the yak.Lso I think it would be pretty safe,water wise and still be a bit of a challenge along the shore,between pelican island and the piers where the restaurants are.
    Im a good swimmer but this is the first time on an SOT ,I white water kayaked in he 70s and surfed up until around 20 yrs ago so I respect the sea.
    Any advise or comments are welcome.Im 60 and been around so I can take what ever is being dished out.
    thanks

First time kayak fishing.

First time voyage I would recommend that you put in someplace shallow. Get a feel for the kayak in water where you can stand up if something goes sideways. Great place to start would be the Galveston island state park near pirates cove or the old Ernie's Bait Camp on Christmas Bay. Personally, I would avoid the yacht basin until you are comfortable making a deepwater reentry to the kayak. Whatever you do wear a PFD and have fun.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

All of that was good advice .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.Ive got my go pro charged and will proceed with caution.
        no matter what it will be fun

Comment

Great ! Give us a report of how it went , please .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

That was that

So I went to 8 mile road to launch.It was 7:15 am windy and choppy but I loaded up the kayak and went for it anyway.
            Before I realized it I was about 150 yards further and not slowing down.The mirage system on the Hobie gave me the control and paddle power to get me heading back to the point that I wanted to try and fish.I dropped the anchor and baited my hook with a live shrimp and cast towards a dock hoping to find flounder lurking.I was pumping the peddles to keep facing into the chop when I felt a couple of tugs on my line.i jerk to my left and start reeling.My rod is bent to almost 90 degrees and then I see my line going under the kayak.Great,my line got caught up on the kayaks fins and then wrapped around the paddle strapped to the side.
            after somehow getting that all untangled I continued for the next 40 minutes or so trying to fish.
            By that time I was starting to feel nauseous from all the bouncing around in one place.(I'm fine as long as I'm moving forward)so I made my way back into the wind to my launch spot.
            The kayak performed well,just using my legs I was able to land safely back on land at which point I came to the conclusion that I need to stay on land to fish.
            It was an adventure and I got to hear the I told you so's about the sea sickness,and now I know I don't want a kayak.
            By the way today was the first time I was skunked this year.Ill blame that on the rumble of all the bikes.
            Last edited by Lou; November 5, 2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X