No announcement yet.

Wanting to get a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just got back from purchasing a kayak from a dude on craigslist and I'm really excited!

Shop Academy Sports + Outdoors for sporting goods, hunting, fishing and camping equipment. Find recreation and leisure products, footwear, apparel, grills, bikes, g...

I'm not sure how good of a kayak it is, but since it's my first, I couldn't care less =D

Now all I need is a paddle and maybe a backrest??

-Marco

Comment

A frenzy will get you out on the water for sure.

It will be a "slower" yak, about on par with my mini-x (my go-to kayak), but loading/unloading and carrying will be very easy, and you can transport it in your truck's bed with the tailgate up.

Yes, you do need a paddle and a good seat. I wouldn't skimp too much on either, as they are important pieces of gear.

A downside of the OK Frenzies is that they don't fit a milk crate in the back. It is a narrower space that can fit a scuba tank, but that's about it. You could cut a crate and make it fit, or maybe find a container to fit it already.

I would add a few rodholders and you are ready and rigged.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to take it into the surf on marginal days, that is one of the most stable yaks available. If you don't have any kayaking experience, take it out empty and play in the surf when it is warmer and the waves are up, you will learn a lot about how to keep it from flipping later when you are loaded.

Comment

The Frenzy will serve you well, for starters. As Milkjug mentioned, a seat with a high back will be more comfortable. I found a narrow plastic basket at Big Lots that fits in the more narrow hold (I have a Scrambler XT). I attached shortened pvc pipes to the basket for rod holders.

Another item I use is a collapsible softside cooler (dimensions similar to a briefcase), large enough for fish, small enough to compress and strap down out of the wind.
        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

i saw here in austin acedemy is starting to sell perciption

Comment

Working...
          X