Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89-90 as being way back...God I'm old!
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Yeh FOF i have a few of them see threw red ones i still throw.
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
        Ok so when the the GHOAST come out?
        The Producer (ghost) came out shortly thereafter....

Comment

Yeh then heddon said they copied or somethen then they were gone.
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

If Rebel hadn't of changed something-or-other in the way they made Jumpin' Minnow's, I'd still be throwing them today. Great lure back in the day, the bone and the gold/chartreuse back and belly worked best for me. Not sure what they did or didn't do to the lure, but they just stopped working right.

The newest versions, the little 3/8oz. Jumpin' Minnow that TTU Wader posted on work ok, I've thrown them during trips when downsizing was the key to catching, but they still aren't what the old models where.
            Happytown Pluggers.

Comment

Old lures still catch fish. I'm particularly fond of broken backs. Very versatile, lots of action/vibration, can work it fast or slow, shallow or down to 3-4 feet, stop it and it rises slowly to the surface. I always have the Ed's Special and some Mirrolure Snakedancers with me.
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

That is the same one I caught my first topwater red on years ago. The tail does drag, so if you fish areas on the lower coast it can cause some issues.
                Fire Gerald Myers and Kent Hance!

Comment

Shallowist is all over it ! The Rebel Jumpin' Minnow was IT back in the very early 90's. 'Bout all we had back then ........caught my first red on top in Snake Island Cove in '91.......proceded to catch about a half-thousand specks all over west bay in the 90's after that......specks were easier to come by back then. Same colors as today , chartreuse / gold , black / gold , black / chrome , blue / chrome and orange / chrome. The first ones with the checkered sides - painted were the best.....then they tried to get fancy with them due to paint problems and they went quickly downhill. Man , you could knock all the paint off one of them on one good fishing trip.
                  There are much better made topwaters on the market today but I still miss that lure. I've been fishing out of Sea Isle since '67 and didn't really explore topwaters until the late '80's.........it's been a ride !
                  " What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak minded ."
                  Captain Augustus McCrae

Comment

Steve, you are so right, the Jumpin Minnow was the first top water I ever used in saltwater. And its by far, the best casting top water, cuz of the way its weighted. I had many trips to the surf where the Jumpin Minnow put a hurtin on them fish. I still use them today, especially the baby jumpin minnow. They only made it for a while back in the day, but they are back in production now, and you truly owe it to yourself carry one of these in your box. Pat Murray turned me on to the small ones, and these little dudes are deadly when the fish are just slappin at the bait.
                    Used to throw the broken backs also, great lure, but the only problem with them was that they didn't cast worth a flip, so didnt use em for very long. Dayum, I am feeling old now.........................!

Comment

Need Sneakypete to post the pics of some heavy stringers using the jumping Minnow back in the day. I have one in my wading belt to this day. Think i'll break it out!!!
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Any one remember this one? It started me fishing top water in the 60's in Eckhart bayou. And you talk about old?

Comment

Lol !!
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                            Need Sneakypete to post the pics of some heavy stringers using the jumping Minnow back in the day. I have one in my wading belt to this day. Think i'll break it out!!!

Here's a couple using the jumping minnow...
                            the second picture was using the old strawberry ghost....30 incher and a 29 incher....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dang Rick........That was a few years ago! You wee a youngster!
                              sigpic
                              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

The jumping minnow started really catching on here in the mid- 80's ....

The demand got so big, that they had to mass produce them ... and the quality was LOST ... .they did'nt float the same, and the paint would come off ...... but that lead the way for the next generations of top waters here in TX ...

Mickey Eastmen used to love them back then...

When I was a kid, in the early 80's I would watch my dad work one in East Bay .... I remember a 20+ inch flounder hit it about 15' from the boat ..... BOOM ... I was hooked.
                                FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Working...
                                X