8/5: Far West End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/5: Far West End

I hit the far (very far) west end on Monday for some trout action on the fly. Conditions were good. 55F at 9AM, rose to 75F by noon. Tide was steady at 90cfm. Elevation was above normal at 8,800 MSL. All action on a 3wt TFO rod sporting a #12 Chubby Chernobyl with a #18 Copper John dropper.

Obligatory landscape shot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	574560

This was almost an awesome photo until I dropped the fish:

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	574561

Colorado Cutthroat - caught in a creek about 8' wide. Not another soul in sight.

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	574562

I'm on the annual escape to Durango, Colorado with the family. I got a day out with a buddy hitting some high mountain creeks. It was a great day. I'll be back in Houston and back to work next week - for now, I'm a mountain hippy with all the craft brew I can drink.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

beautiful cutthroat

Comment

It looks fun. Enjoy yourself!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Very nice and with outdoor AC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice , looks like a whole lot of fun . Butter fingers .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Well done. Small stream, cool morning, no one in site, and the fish are biting. As the commercial says "It don't get no better than this"
            I try do the same thing every couple of years around Red River, New Mexico in the Cimmaron River.
            Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Beautiful pics man! we have a place outside of Ft Garland, CO. Up in the Forbes Ranches in the Sangre De Cristos. we make a trip at least once a summer. Load up the roadie with Shiner and colorada kool aid and hit the trails in the jeep and hit all the beaver ponds and creeks until we run out of beer or get hungry enough to head back to town. Take my TFO 2wt and a pistol(your not at the top of the food chain). Its what god built it for.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing. It is nice to see different scenery.
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good photos good stories. Congratulations on getting away. I have a log cabin on the Rio Grande in South Fork across the mountain from Durango. I would go there more often if I could breath better in the mountains and if there was a marsh there with spotted tail fish. Have a safe trip back home.

Comment

Avoid supporting Colorado at the present time!

Comment

Originally posted by Battle Reds View Post
                      Avoid supporting Colorado at the present time!
                      Is this a political jab in the middle of jerkyourcroakers fly fishing vacation thread or am I misunderstanding something?
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                        Is this a political jab in the middle of jerkyourcroakers fly fishing vacation thread or am I misunderstanding something?
                        It was actually at the end of jerkyourcroakers fly fishing vacation thread. I apologize, wrong place for it....

Comment

Originally posted by Battle Reds View Post
                          It was actually at the end of jerkyourcroakers fly fishing vacation thread. I apologize, wrong place for it....
                          No sweat. Nothing against political discussions but you're correct, not the best place. Post it up in Robalos corner and you guys can go to town with it.
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                          X