Summertime Redfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summertime Redfish

Late summertime redfish in Texas has always been one of my favorite settings. Bring on the calm mornings that make you sweat before the sun even pops and let's spend a morning casting at tails. This summer has been no exception, with the morning periods providing lots of activity and just being downright fun to fish. But after the sun peaks, the temps max and the crowds start heading home for the pool is when things have been getting really interesting. The same fish that was completely oblivious to everything besides the shrimp in front of its nose from earlier is now well aware of your location and intent it seems, and can become quite on edge.

One of the most rewarding experiences I find with a fly rod in hand is feeding a fish that isn't really in the mood to eat anymore. We all know the fish I'm talking about. The ones that are laid up, not swimming anymore and perhaps even appear to be taking a nap on the bottom of the flat or marsh pond because they're already content and life is good. The whole scenario reminds me of a trip to my favorite local Mexican joint. One more chip leads to a basket empty of chips and the need for a siesta shortly after.

Many experienced anglers and guides all have their favorite techniques for coping with this type of behavior, from various equipment changes to the use of select flies. The one consistently proven trait that seems to be shared in each of these presentations though is the level of added convenience that is ultimately made available for the fish to eat the fly. Fail to naturally bring the fly within a feeding area roughly the size of a dinner plate and entice the fish to react, and you'll likely get in little more than a good quality casting session. Hit it right though, watch the fish open its mouth and suck in your fly out of pure instinct to not pass on such an easy meal, and it's without a doubt one of the most rewarding moments in fly fishing, and it might even make you look forward to fishing the heat of the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4568.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	574563

I just purchased my first fly rod and look forward in learning how to use it and catch me some reds in the marsh, tight lines

Comment

Nicely done !
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

go gettem man!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Nice write up Jared! See you on the water!

Comment

Is that Baron nailing them? Nice report - make sure you leave some for a couple of weeks time!

Comment

Summertime Redfish

Nicely done, and said Jarid!!
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
              X