No pot lickers in the marsh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No pot lickers in the marsh

I’ve been fishing with flies and fly rod in the marshes of the West Galveston Bay for about 15 years. I have never encountered a pot licker in the marsh. I haven’t even seen anyone fly fishing from a kayak where I fish in all that time (other that those few whom I have taken there). Naturally, I have understandably started thinking about these special red fish locations as my personal and private sanctuaries.

I suspect about 3 solid reasons why there are no pot lickers in the marsh (or other fools like me for that matter). 1) It is very, very hard, dirty, and usually hot fishing back in the mud, shallow water, and salt grass (pot lickers don’t seem to like difficult fishing); 2) my usual average success rate for catching a keeper size red fish is about 1 fish every 2 hours (no respectful pot licker would put up with this paltry catch rate); and 3) there is no one but me in the marsh who a pot licker can home in on and jump in front of (I also suspect that no pot licker worthy of the name would stoop to fishing out of a kayak).

Any other opinions to the contrary, I usually have much difficulty catching reds in the marsh during days with high tides that occur at dawn (there are always exceptions and this is probably a ridiculous over generalization). I fish usually from dawn till about 9 o’clock. This abbreviated schedule is a result of my age, health, and predilection My most successful days are when there is a dead low tide at dawn with incoming tide. My catch rate average during days of early morning slack high tide is not pretty. During these times I mostly find ways to talk myself into staying home. But thinking like that always leads me back to the always troubling maxim, “if you don’t go, you won’t know.”

When I was younger and stronger I would also often fish the last 2 or 3 hours before dark with good results. I mainly enjoy sight casting to keeper size red fish. In those locations where I fish, sight casting may mean seeing the back of the fish creeping along a bank, seeing a pod of reds working a grass line, seeing a shrimp frantically shoot out the water, or maybe even sighting the tip of a dorsal fin of a red snoozing in 6 inches of murky water. Very seldom where I fish do I see an entire red fish (if I’m close enough to see the whole fish, I usually have already spooked it). I have often paddled the kayak for hours without ever making a cast.

Anyway, get out there and give it a try in the marsh. You are not ever likely to see or ever have your tranquility disturbed by a pot licker. I’m not too concerned with sharing this priceless marsh information because it’s a well known fact that pot lickers are so ignorant that they can’t even read much less find their own fish.

However, If I ever do see one, I will paraphrase Kenny and holler, “Get out of my marsh.” and then start chunking marsh grass at 'em. So if you see me out there you better have your FWE sticker where I can see it.

A few photos from this past week in the west bay marsh:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	574579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	574580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	574581

Nice read! Thanks!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great read. I need to break out my fly gear and learn to use it. Once I accomplish that I'll come potlick your marsh.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

On the higher tides look behind the grass line, or on the islands depending on which marsh you are fishing that day. They are still there just in places that were dry on a low or normal tide....

Comment

Somebody really needs to take pictures of you when you do Bruce. I can imagine you with fly line all over the place trying to maneuver a kayak while drinking a chilada and shuffling 18 belts and tackle boxes wearing a big floppy hat.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Jim , thank you for sharing your hard earned information based on countless hours of fishing and observation . Nothing improves one's fishing ability like tiime on the water and keen observation , Unless it is passed along by such an individual . Still experience trumps " book learning " , but non the less information like yours is invaluable . Thank you again and your reports are a delight .

Now , excuse me as I have to order a couple FWE decals for my kayak so I don't get a mouthfull of marsh grass as I hail you in that back marsh .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice read!

I'll be in the marsh at night, you can have it during the day. lol
              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                Somebody really needs to take pictures of you when you do Bruce. I can imagine you with fly line all over the place trying to maneuver a kayak while drinking a chilada and shuffling 18 belts and tackle boxes wearing a big floppy hat.
                lmoa!
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Aswome article read ! Marsh Motivation !
                  FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                    Just wait till you see my kitchen sink fly!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Excellent read.., always look forward to your reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great post & pix, Jim. Thanks. I'll be sure to stay out of your marsh.....I seem to draw potlickers out of the woodwork for some reason. Never seem to swarm me when I'm on a large school of hardheads for some reason, tho. Have to ask.....if you are usually out there alone, who's taking those pictures?
                        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

It looks like he has the camera on some type of pole. One hand always looks like it is holding it out.

Comment

I think it's his pointer taking the pictures (puppy!) Jim hooks 'em and the dog retrieves 'em!
                            Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Very well said! All of what you wrote is why I moved to Jamaica Beach, to have that in my backyard. The solitude of a west bay marsh with a fly rod at sunrise is priceless. Enjoy your report and photos, Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X