Jumbile bay area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbile bay area?

I'm not from the Galveston area, in fact, I'm far from any water anywhere. But, I have a new grandson (my first) and I should be spending a lot of time in that area in the future (especially holidays). My Brother-in-law lives at Jamacia Beach and I'll be spending time in that area. I'm an avid flyfisherman. I would like some information from anyone on where and how to fly fish for anything that will bite in the flats around west bay. I've tried the surf on the southside and caught way too many ladyfish. I'd like to tie into a nice bull red or a good trout, flounder, just about anything that stretches my line. Any good pointers?
    Lightweight 8

Today is an auction for a half day fly fishing trip with one of the best , the shallowist , steve soule . Check out that thread .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

The coves on the south shoreline all hold reds. Everything behind the state park is fishable and you don't need a boat/kayak to get back there, but be ready for some long walks and muddy wades. If you have access to a boat, the north shoreline of west bay from Greens cut west has become a fly fisherman's dream in the past 10 years. Heavy grass mixed with potholes has created a prime habitat for sight casting to tailing and cruising reds. You will also get shots at some pretty impressive trout there once you learn to spot them. Basically he needs to get out and explore. One hint for the upcoming year.....the shad will start moving into the bay in big schools in May and the reds will follow them. The shad will stage in the deeper water of the coves on low tide, then move as far back in them as they can get as the tide rises on the incoming. Plan your strategy around that kind of movement and you should be able to find the fish.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try to plan a trip around April-May and work the flats on the south side of west bay, Jumbile bay area, south of deer island. I've seen several fisherman wading the area south of deer island, looks interesting. I'll give it a try. Also, thanks for the tide information. I suppose saltwater is not that different from fresh, when water goes up, the baitfish move in to the shallows and the game fish follow.

Comment

LW8-I suggest you get a Hooksetter map (Academy has them-most sporting goods do) of Galveston Bay and it'll give you some wade spots. Access may be an issue as to some areas, but folks here will assist. Get that map and study it-think of wind direction- and then ask us for some help as to access to some wade spots.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You may already have this link but here is one showing where you can wade in or launch your kayak. I'm not sure how up to date it is, but some of the guys on here can give you better advise than me since I usually get to them in my boat. Congrats on the new grandbaby!

Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

That's a pretty cool site Termo. Haven't seen that before.
              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks Termo, that is an interesting site. Looks like there are some good wading sites that are accessible and close. I'll probably be in the area in the April/May time frame to try my hand at fly fishing the flats. Living in this desert is drying me out and I need to soak up some moisture. One question though, what about ray chaps? Do I really need them? I've heard horror stories from some old salts that say it's the worst feeling you'll ever experience. What's your view?

Comment

LW8....I'm no authority on wade fishing, but I HAVE been wading west bay for about 40 years and I have never been struck by a stingray while doing so. Not so lucky for a friend that lives out in Sea isle that I grew up with (another 40 year wader) just last year. He is tough as a grizzly and although I wasn't with him at the time, afterward he showed me pictures of the wound and it shocked the chit out of me (also saw the wound about 2 weeks later and it was still gross). He said it was the worst pain he had ever experienced. We both now never enter the bay without ray guards. Just like police who never are shot (thankfully) during their entire careers, most departments, if not all, now require their officers to wear bulletproof vests just in case--I think that logic works for wading. Also, a little advice....ALWAYS slide or shuffle your feet while wading and NEVER walk back through your track to get back to where you have come from. Stingrays (and redfish will do it too) often use the mud you stirred up to search for bugs, worms and other critters and you might step on one doing that. Mud and sand are most likely to harbor a stingray where shell is less likely to. There are a lot of more experienced waders on this site, so I hope they add their two cents to help you in having a safe and successful wade.

Comment

Here's a pretty cool article........

Info on fishing and boating information, Charter Captains, Bait and Tackle Shops, Marine Supplies, Fishing Equipment Manufacturers, diveshops and other related information

Comment

I haven't been fishing that long, but I've been playing in salt water for ever and never been hit. There's always the chance you'll get hit by a stingray, but the odds are just as likely you'll get run over by a bus.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

If it hits you Bruce...I pity the BUS! (Boy, I am SO gonna get it next time we go fishing!)

Comment

Good article, Termo, thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                            odds are just as likely you'll get run over by a bus.

Dont listen to this - I've seen them so thick that they were lapped over each other on the bottom at times. I wear guards and shuffle my feet.
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                              Dont listen to this - I've seen them so thick that they were lapped over each other on the bottom at times. I wear guards and shuffle my feet.
                              Weenie.

"Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X