New rod advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rod advise

I recently took Orvis 101 class and loved it. They seemed well educated in the fly arena. I ended up with gift cards to Orvis for Christmas. I need advise with rod/reel purchase. Obviously the guys at Orvis are pushing there items. I did my own research and for the money looks like a TFO BVK would be in my price range. Should I match an orvis reel with it? I have about $150 in gift cards and can get an "entry" level reel from Orvis for about that range. I know there are a ton of on line shopping places to shop, just seeing if anyone has any pos or negs about Orvis equip.

I can't copy and paste the chart where I got new rod info. I googled 2014 8 weight fly rods and saw: www.yellowstoneangler.com did a rod shoot out. The used same reel, line, etc. I liked the breakdown of how they chose which rods came out on top.

Comment

I'm a seasoned veteran at fly fishing. I assume you're going to fish an 8w. (maybe look into a spey rod in 10ft, 10w) Temple Forks has a fine fly rod set up for the price, and there are other companies with reasonable prices. I fish a 5w Patterson with an Okuma reel. I've always found with Orvis you pay for the name, quality is about the same. Make sure to match the reel (large arbor) weight to the rod weight and you can go up or down one weight (preferably up) on the fly line. Full flex would be preferable if you're fishing in the surf.

Comment

Thanks a ton. Yeah I've noticed the Orvis is top of the market in price, I just didn't know about quality. Kinda like Nike lol. Well good deal that sounds like what I will do. Didn't plan on hitting the surf but you never know. I have even landed my 1st fish on a fly yet.

Comment

I likewise recommend TFO. I like the mangrove series rods. Okuna reels are very good. I like Ross. Get a large arbor reel with a good drag. Don't scrimp on the fly line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

So then I'm sold on the rod TFO BVK it is. Surfed their website and its a pretty cool story. I will take a look at the Okuma. I did read a few reviews about the Orvis line being garbage, what brand and type should i load it with? Looks like the price out of pocket will be close to equal for the Orvis Access or an Okuma.(B/C i have gift cards) Going back Sat for the 201 class on the water in the Woodlands. These are free so they are in the budget lol. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Orvis likes to think they are the benchmark for quality. Actually, it's pretty much the same across the board. Once you get rod and reel in hand, I would suggest loading it with 50# backing if you're fishing the flats or the surf. Scientific Angler is the best fly line I've found. Get a WF (weight forward) for ease of casting. Leader and tippet depend on what you're after. I'll suggest the barrel knot to put it all together. (it goes through the eyelets easier). Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightweight 8 View Post
                Orvis likes to think they are the benchmark for quality. Actually, it's pretty much the same across the board. Once you get rod and reel in hand, I would suggest loading it with 50# backing if you're fishing the flats or the surf. Scientific Angler is the best fly line I've found. Get a WF (weight forward) for ease of casting. Leader and tippet depend on what you're after. I'll suggest the barrel knot to put it all together. (it goes through the eyelets easier). Good luck.

Good advice on line and such. I don't think I understand the comment on the barrel knot. When is your knot going through the eyelets (backing to fly line?)?
                "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

had my orvis 201 class in the woodlands last week. Got to cast on little local pond. WOW! i felt like i was tourist, just awkward and goofy looking lol. Still it was free, helped a little more, learned to shoot like and i kinda am getting a "feel" of the speed in my back cast. Anyway, saw the Fly Expo coming up in New Braunfels. I would assume its similar to the Fishing Expo that is always here at the GRB or Reliant. Thinking of taking trip to check it out and maybe shop for some new toys.

Comment

Don't be misled by comments above. As for the rods, the Helios and Helios 2 are at the very top of the market in terms of performance. As for reels you can do fine fishing the Texas coast with just about any reel that holds capacity. I didn't see what or where you plan to fish so staying what weight rod is difficult. You can't go wrong with the BVK, it is a fantastic rod! Not so sure about the comment above about 50 backing. That's what you would use on an offshore rig. Stick with 30. Most fly lines break around 30 pounds and with 50 you won't have near the backing capacity as with 30. When you are done with your classes at Orvis, keep practicing. There is a lot to learn about casting fly rods and they are just trying to get people started. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Since I am mostly a bass and trout fisherman, I will concede that the Shallowist and Jerkourcroaker know more about fishing the coast. As with any fishing, rod, reel, bait, etc. depend on what type of fishing your doing and where. In my realm of fishing you don't need backing most of the time and your leader and tippets get down in the 2lb test range and flies in 22-24 size for wary trout. Tight streams sometimes necessitates roll casts or figure 8, but the main thing is to get out there and practice, have fun and enjoy your time fishing whether you're using a cane pole or a high dollar bamboo rod. Good luck.

Comment

A lot to learn lol! This may be why Im drawn to it so much. Mainly reds n specks. still planning on checking out the convention in New Braunfels. In my mind, I'm stuck on the BVK: hardly any negative feedback and the price is reasonable. Still open to an……"affordable" reel. There are a few man made ponds out here that I can practice until i can get accurate and comfortable enough not to chase off everything. Any opinion on those practice casters? they seem like it could be fun….for at least 10 min lol

Comment

Ricketts - I think you will be very happy with anything that TFO makes. Listen to Shallowist. He knows what he is talking about. Some talk about okuma reels on here - I think that is a great reel to get started with. I own Ross, Orvis, Okuma, Hatch, Pflueger and Cabelas fly reels and I am generally happy with all of them for various purposes. For saltwater reels I tend to go with the more expensive large arbor reels with solid drag systems and have been very happy with the Orvis Hydros and Mirage Reels along with the Hatch. Whatever brand you get I suggest Getting a large arbor reel and get something with an adjustable drag knob (not click and pawl). Purchase your flyline at a local flyshop (Fishing Tackle Unlimited, Ifly Anglers Edge or either of the Orvis locations), tell the guys what kind of fishing you intend to do and they can help you select a good line. Take your reel with you when you go to buy the line and usually as a courtesy for purchasing the line from them they will fill it with backing (30# dacron) and they will tie the line onto the backing for you (Bimini twist or nail knot) all for free. Practicing casting at a pond can be alot of fun, but one of the best ways to practice is to go bass or perch fishing with your fly rod in the same pond. This way you are gaining casting skills and fishing at the same time. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Comment

Well, finally got a little extra cash and was in Katy. Got me a 8# TFO mangrove and Okuma SLV. I was going to just fork out the cash for the lighter BVK reel ($260) but the guy at counter said I can go with the Okuma SLV 8/9. for 30 days and if I don't like it I can return it. I also had a coupon so got a (IMO) great rod and a "entry level" reel, 30# backing, line for under $400. Went with house brand backing(white River Magibraid) and Scientific Angler Saltwater line ( Pale Yellow). I work Tues/Weds this week so hopefully if the winds lay down I can wade Galv state park. Any recommendations on fly's? I was going to try to get some type of shrimp. Bass pro didnt really have any in stock. I may hit up FTU tomorrow

Comment

I have an 8# TFO with BVK reel and caught bull reds in Louisiana. Although my cast wasn't the prettiest but that rod caught just as big a fish as anyone else did. In the hands of a fly rod gunslinger it performs pretty well. The next thing to get is lessons or practice. Good luck!
                              Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                              X