Sasquatch/Hang time/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sasquatch/Hang time/

I have been surf and flats fishing for reds/trout/ basically anything that will bite and used mostly crab patterns, streamers, deceivers and manhadden patterns without much luck, except for skipjacks and black drum. Has anyone tried using really large flies such as the Sasquatch or the Hangtime Optical Minnow? These are 22cm flies and look to be overkill for the intended target. They're big flies but not a lot of bulk so I can probably throw them with the 8 wt. Transitioning from mountain stream fishing for trout with #22 size midges to using 22cm flies in the salt has me a little brain jammed. Can any of you long stick'ers help a guy out with a mental block and some advice on enticing reds and trout in saltwater? Check out the video of Brad Bohen's Hangtime Optical Minnow. Let me know if it will work, and I'll tie up a couple for my next wade trip. Thanks.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Those big flies look great for blind casting,but I would not use them for sight casting.Sight casting requires smaller flies so as not to create a disturbance when you hit close to the fish. Small clousars,spoons,redfish Crack, etc.
    SKIFFSTIFF

Comment

I saw a recipe for redfish crack and it looked very good, I should tie one for my arsenal. These larger flies are mostly for fly fishing the surf, but I thought might be good for blind casting in the bay. Although they look massive, they're actually very light and don't make a big 'splash' when they hit the water. When you say "small clousers" exactly what size are we talking 2, 1, 1/0? It's very difficult for me to 'upsize' from the microscopic hooks we use to catch trout in mountain streams. I think I have a tendency to oversize them, if a 5lb trout will go for a #22 midge then surely a red will go for something in the #12 range.

Comment

Working...
      X