Hook Set Stringer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majek_maniac View Post
    Thanks for the input, I recently started using swivels and am very happy with them. These quickswirls seem like a great idea, a lot easier and simpler than the traditional swivels. I will pickup a few sets in the next few weeks.

M.M.
    The only problem I've found is without the swivel, sometimes the corky will start to walk back up the wire swirl. one friend actually lost a corky because of it. With the swivel its never happened.
    I've never had a topwater work back up on either.

Heres a few shots from last March...all fish taken on a quickswirl/pink corky sinker fatboy combination.
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

No, I'm using the Fish-N-Hunt wading belt from Academy. I love this belt, I like the velcro up front, the removable tackle box on the back, and the wide back support. Been using this belt for a long time and it holds up really well. Not too expensive either. But, if you do want to upgrade the the pliers like I did and upgrade the crappy stringer like I did then it turns out to be nearly a hundred dollar belt LOL.

One thing I did on the stringer that eliminates the knot near the float was I added a domino to it. This is the domino that came off of one of my old Fish Slick stringers. Makes fish removing that more easier. A domino is not very hard to make at all. See the pics.

My quick clip take:
      Norman quick clips: Garbage in my opinion! Lost way too many fish with them along with several topwaters. I like the the concept but they will fail on big Trout and slot Reds.

Norton Clips:
      Like someone said earlier, you will lose Corkys on them. I agree, I have lost several. But, they are good for lead heads and topwaters and are very easy to put baits on and take off. I still use these alot.

Quick Swirl:
      you won't lose a corky on these. But a Top Dog and a She Dog can be a little hard getting on some times as mentioned above. Especially with cold wet hands. Super Spooks and Jrs are a little easier aswell as a Corky.

Tony clips:
      These are the one on Paul Browns web site and the ones on the Devil eye Web site. These are suppose to be really good clips and I really havn't heard anything negative about them. Just never used them so I can't comment.

AQUA PIMP
      AQUA PIMP......
      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Thanks for the tips AP. I really like that domino idea.
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

AP...do you use the swivels with the Corkys, because there have been some issues with them traveling back up the wire on the ones without, and thats not only me. Nortons do suck and your righ Pauls are fine... IMHO.

On the Fishslick stringer....I've also had issues with the domino coming off, as have a few other's, especially when wading the surf. I do like the concept, and I still have my old fishslick, although minus the dominoe. Are you doing anything else, or is it just because GoingCoastal stringer is a little thicker and rougher that it holds better. I always thought the FS stringer was too skinny.

Monte
          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

It could be but I never had the domino come off of the Fishslick stringer either, but then again I never had it in the surf either. My problem with the Fishslick stringer was the coating cracked over time. Those new stringers work great with the domino

AQUA PIMP
            AQUA PIMP......
            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

What I like about those stringers and the domino is that when I load up AP's stringer with 15-20 of my fish for one of those over the shoulder shots; they slide right back off into the ice chest real quick; and, there is no 10 minutes of screwing around puling the damn things off.

And....then when we get back to the house, they slide off just as quick and easy so moonpie can get to cleaning them while me and ap kick back, drink a cold beer, listen to the outdoor stereo/tv and watch moonpie do the one thing he is really only good for doing besides keeping ice on the beer and fetching one when you need it.

Just my 2 cents and very humble opinion about those stringers.

jt

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                And....then when we get back to the house, they slide off just as quick and easy so moonpie can get to cleaning them while me and ap kick back, drink a cold beer, listen to the outdoor stereo/tv and watch moonpie do the one thing he is really only good for doing besides keeping ice on the beer and fetching one when you need it.

Just my 2 cents and very humble opinion about those stringers.

jt

Sounds like I need to start hanging out with moonpie!!!
                "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                  It could be but I never had the domino come off of the Fishslick stringer either, but then again I never had it in the surf either. My problem with the Fishslick stringer was the coating cracked over time. Those new stringers work great with the domino

AQUA PIMP

I'll have to make me some domino's, and you are right, the FS stringer will crack.
                  Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post

Tony clips:
                    These are the one on Paul Browns web site and the ones on the Devil eye Web site. These are suppose to be really good clips and I really havn't heard anything negative about them. Just never used them so I can't comment.

AQUA PIMP
                    i ordered a pack of them a few months ago and gave most of them away to my brothers and dad to try out leaving me with one.. i still have the same one on after months of fishing trips and countless reds.. i did order some quickswirls to try out but havent needed to use them yet.. i highly suggest them but only place i know where to ge them is the brown lure website which is out of stock.. anyone know post up plz.. ez
                    Last edited by caz; November 22, 2008, 02:12 AM.
                    Boats and hoes.

Comment

I've been using the Tony clips for over a year and really like them. I've never had one fail. The Norton's are the same design but are junk (sorry Mr. Norton) and will fail/straighten/deform on a big trout or red.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Yeah those nortons do fail but sometimes I'm too lazy and still use them lol. This past weekend I threw corkies with the quikswirl (no swivel) and didn't have any problems with them coming off. I could definately see how it could easily slide off since the wire the nose is made out of is so thin. I think I'm gonna pick some of those tony's clips next time I'm in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                          Yeah those nortons do fail but sometimes I'm too lazy and still use them lol. This past weekend I threw corkies with the quikswirl (no swivel) and didn't have any problems with them coming off. I could definately see how it could easily slide off since the wire the nose is made out of is so thin. I think I'm gonna pick some of those tony's clips next time I'm in the area.
                          You working them fast or slow. That'll make the difference. On sinking Fatboys, I'll throw it out and let it sink down then pop it coming back up....don't get into that hype you have to work them real slow.
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Working...
                          X