Question about when Smacks/Bluefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about when Smacks/Bluefish

Typically when do Spanish Mackerel (or even kings) and Bluefish start showing up in the surf or nearshore? Is there a magical water temp just like we talk about with trout in the surf. I've heard usually the macks show up just before the trout start showing in the surf.

I'd like to hear y'all's input. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

i would say 68 and higher water temps.
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Smacks will be here any day now. Kings not until late May or so.

Comment

For kings to be in the surf the waters gotta be in the mid 70s and very clean. Atleast that's when I've had my luck. Haven't caught a whole lotta bluefish. Smacks have already been caught in freeport.

Comment

Oh, are they being caught off the Jetties? I may have to make a trip this next week and throw my silver spoon around! Thanks for everyone's replies.

Comment

Go to the North Jetty parking lot, channel side. Bring good leader, they can easily break off 30lb + mono
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

july august best bet
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                Go to the North Jetty parking lot, channel side. Bring good leader, they can easily break off 30lb + mono
                Do you have to walk pretty far down on the north jetty? I caught them last spring at the boat cut by boat (on friend's boat). You think i'd have to walk that far or just a lil ways fishing the channel side to find some macks?

I definitely know about using proper leader. I've lost a few lures to them. Thanks for the advise!

Comment

clear water
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

You dont have to walk all the way to the boat cut. Ive caught them walking 100yds out. When theyre there, theyre there, and theyll hit pretty much anything. I once heard about a guy that cut a mcdonalds straw and ran a hook through it and caught them got into a school of them on the end of the dike and decided to try it out. Worked. lol. Ive even caught them on bare hooks. Theyll hit anything they can see when theyre feeding, especially if its shiny.

Comment

The Mcdonalds straw works awesome on macks. Me and my buddy would use them all the time.

Comment

I actually have some made up! hehe Haven't used one yet but supposedly they really work. Here's an article on it http://capmel.com/straw_lure.htm

Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

I use to have hi vis green line on all my surf reels, but after being cut off by what I suspect was smacks hitting the line, I changed colors. Theyre probably the most vicious feeders of inshore fish. A ton of fun when you get into a school of them too.

Comment

That's been my experience! I've been in a school of them a few times and it's pretty fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X